ETH Zürich: Info about Language, Engineering & Technology

In summary, ETH Zürich is a top university in Europe and the world, with a focus on natural sciences, mathematics, and engineering. The first two years of undergraduate level are taught in German, but then transition to English. For non-native German speakers, it may be more beneficial to pursue graduate studies at ETH Zurich, where all lectures are in English. The university offers paid positions for PhD students, but there is no requirement for a German proficiency test for PhD applicants. However, a test may be required for those applying for citizenship in Germany, Switzerland, or Austria. The cost of living in Zurich is high, but the attractive salary for PhD students may make it feasible for some.
  • #1
chrisych
32
0
Does anyone know about ETH Zürich?

This university is very good in my mind, especially, in engineering and technology.

What is the major teaching language in this university?

Is it German? I think German is very difficult to learn.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I'm currently considering studying at ETH.
It's one of the best universities in Europe and in the world. Its focus is on natural sciences, mathematics and engineering (ETH = Eidgenoesssische Technische Hochschule = Federal Institute of Technology)

The first two years of undergraduate level are mostly taught in German, after that English becomes the primary language (more than 60% of lecturers are foreigners)

German difficult to learn? It depends on you. Is English your native tongue? Do you know any other languages?

From where are you?
 
  • #3
The laboratory facilities are very good at that university.

I am Chinese and come from Hong Kong.

Cantonese is my native tongue.
 
  • #4
Ok, in this case it will be rather hard for you to master German (because Cantonese/Chinese has no internal structure comparable to German). In this case I'd suggest to go for graduate studies to ETH Zurich (Master or PhD) where all lectures are in English.
 
  • #5
But, don't they make you take a test of proficiency in German even if you are doing a course of study in english. I know for the Masters program which is taught in english they require that you pass a test in german.
 
  • #6
beta3 said:
Ok, in this case it will be rather hard for you to master German (because Cantonese/Chinese has no internal structure comparable to German). In this case I'd suggest to go for graduate studies to ETH Zurich (Master or PhD) where all lectures are in English.

I would like to apply for a research degree in ETH Zürich.

I have sent e-mail to my potential supervisor but still get no response.

I hope I will be able to hear from him very soon.
 
  • #7
eastside00_99 said:
But, don't they make you take a test of proficiency in German even if you are doing a course of study in english. I know for the Masters program which is taught in english they require that you pass a test in german.

A test in German? Is it a standard test like IELTS or TOEFL in English?
 
  • #8
OH, sorry, I was thinking of UZH (university of zurich).

Yeah, I don't see anything about a a german test. But, going to this school is going to be expensive (just consider the cost of living in zurich alone).
 
Last edited:
  • #9
eastside00_99 said:
OH, sorry, I was thinking of UZH (university of zurich).

Yeah, I don't see anything about a a german test. But, going to this school is going to be expensive (just consider the cost of living in zurich alone).

If you do your PhD there, you are employed by the university and get paid. (between 50 000 und 80 000 CHF per annum)



But I never heard that someone had to do a German test when they want to do a PhD (for Undergraduate this may be the case). But you need to do one if you apply for German/Swiss/Austrian citizenship.
 
  • #10
Oh, I thought about applying to do a Ph.D. in Zurich at UZH. I contacted someone and they said that I would have to take a german test. I want to live in Switzerland though, but it is just not feasible for me to do that I guess.
 
  • #11
beta3 said:
If you do your PhD there, you are employed by the university and get paid. (between 50 000 und 80 000 CHF per annum)



But I never heard that someone had to do a German test when they want to do a PhD (for Undergraduate this may be the case). But you need to do one if you apply for German/Swiss/Austrian citizenship.

The paid is very attractive, that's why I still get no response from my potential supervisor.
 

What is ETH Zürich?

ETH Zürich is a science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) university located in Zurich, Switzerland. It is consistently ranked as one of the top universities in the world.

What languages are offered at ETH Zürich?

ETH Zürich offers courses and programs in German and English. Most undergraduate programs are taught in German, while many graduate programs are taught in English. Students are required to have a certain level of proficiency in either language to be admitted.

What engineering programs are available at ETH Zürich?

ETH Zürich offers a wide range of engineering programs, including mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, and computer science. The university is known for its strong focus on research and innovation in these fields.

Does ETH Zürich offer any language courses?

Yes, ETH Zürich offers language courses for students who need to improve their German or English skills. These courses are designed to prepare students for their studies at ETH and are available at different levels of proficiency.

What are the admission requirements for international students at ETH Zürich?

International students are required to have a high school diploma or equivalent and must meet the language proficiency requirements. They also need to pass an entrance exam or have strong academic records and letters of recommendation. Each program may have additional requirements, so it is important to check the specific requirements for the desired program.

Similar threads

  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
1
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
7
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
7
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
4
Views
3K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
9
Views
436
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
2
Views
5K
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
9
Views
16K
Replies
3
Views
657
  • STEM Academic Advising
Replies
1
Views
2K
Back
Top