Quantum Computation and Information Master's Degree

In summary, I am in a Physics BSc programme and I would like to delve into quantum computation and quantum information. There are two master's degree in Europe that I find interesting in particular: Quantum Engineering MSc at ETH Zurich and Applied Physics MSc at TU Delft (track in Quantum Devices and Quantum Computing). Looking at the courses, the former seems to lean towards electrical engineering, whereas the latter seems more physics oriented (which I like), but both offer lots of different courses to choose from, so it isn't much of a difference. ETH is more internationally renowned in general, but how about this specific field? I don't really care about the prestige, but my future employer (or my
gnegnegne
I'm in a Physics BSc programme and I would like to delve into quantum computation and quantum information. There are two master's degree in Europe that I find interesting in particular: Quantum Engineering MSc at ETH Zurich and Applied Physics MSc at TU Delft (track in Quantum Devices and Quantum Computing).
Looking at the courses, the former seems to lean towards electrical engineering, whereas the latter seems more physics oriented (which I like), but both offer lots of different courses to choose from, so it isn't much of a difference.
ETH is more internationally renowned in general, but how about this specific field? I don't really care about the prestige, but my future employer (or my future university) might, besides, the prestige is often deserved. TU Delft has some interesting collaborations with Intel (it seems to be an affiliate university) and Microsoft (they recently opened a joint lab). I've read a bit about the research done at both the universities and I found it extremely (and more or less equally) intriguing.

I don't think I can make a bad choice in this case, but I have to choose. I was wondering if you had any experience/knowledge regarding these two universities in this specific field (or even these specific programmes). As of now, find TU Delft more appealing, but I don't know if I'm missing something about ETH that makes it so renowned internationally.

Physics news on Phys.org
Delft is very well thought of as far as I'm aware. I've applied there myself this year.

Look also at Leiden, University of Copenhagen, Technical University Of Denmark in Copenhagen, and there is a relatively new course started in Aachen University aswell. All these are in the area of Quantum Mechanics and yiu can Taylor the course towards quantum computing.

Thank you for your answers! I'll definitely check the universities you mentioned. The linked movie isn't available in my country, but I've read a lot about the research done on topological quantum computing at Delft and it's very interesting, TU Delft seems to be one of the leading players in the world in this field. I haven't heard anything about ETH however, so any opinion is appreciated :)

What did you choose in the end?

1. What is quantum computation and information?

Quantum computation and information is a field of study that combines principles from quantum mechanics, computer science, and information theory to develop new methods for processing and storing information using quantum systems.

2. What can you do with a master's degree in quantum computation and information?

A master's degree in quantum computation and information can prepare you for a variety of careers in research, development, and implementation of quantum technologies. Graduates can also pursue further studies in a PhD program or work in industries such as quantum computing, cryptography, and quantum communication.

3. What are the core courses in a quantum computation and information master's degree program?

The core courses in a quantum computation and information master's degree program typically include quantum mechanics, quantum algorithms, quantum information theory, quantum error correction, and quantum hardware design. Other courses may cover topics such as quantum cryptography, quantum communication, and quantum machine learning.

4. What skills are needed for a successful career in quantum computation and information?

A successful career in quantum computation and information requires a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and computer science. Additionally, skills such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and programming are essential for working with complex quantum systems. Good communication and collaboration skills are also important for working in interdisciplinary teams.

5. Is a background in quantum physics necessary for a quantum computation and information master's degree?

While a background in quantum physics can be helpful, it is not always necessary for a quantum computation and information master's degree. Many programs offer introductory courses in quantum mechanics to provide students with the necessary foundation. However, a strong understanding of mathematics and computer science is crucial for success in this field.