Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ethanoic acid + 3 methyl, butanol -> name?

1. Aug 24, 2010 #1
    This is NOT homework, im just confused on how to name this organic compound. My chemistry teacher got quite of stumped, let alone i do not believe my fellow class mates in their idea of the name.

Example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------CH3
    ------------------------------------------------------------------|
    OH-CH2-CH2-CH2(CH3)-CH3 + CH3COOH --> CH3-C-O-CH2-CH2-CH-CH3
    --------------------------------------------------||
    --------------------------------------------------O

(Sorry it's a bit hard to draw the compound on this; Im currently capped and can't be bothered uploading a picture to a website).

Anyways, back to the Question.

What is the name of the substance?

Ethanoic + 3 mthyl, butanol -> H2o + " 2 methyl, butanyl ethanoate"

I've always thought you are not able to get a functional group, on a functional group. Looking at this we notice the butyl functional group attached to the ester (ethanoate). Then there is also a methyl group of this?

If that is actually the name, can someone please guide me in the right direction? - What is the general rule with having a Functional Group/Functional Group.

(P.S I do understand you can obviously get two SEPERATE functional groups, i've just never encountered a functional group on another).

Thanks, recoil33

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2010 #2
    You are just trying too hard. Look at it from the other end.

Its just palin old 1-butyl acetate ( butyl acetate for short is ok.) plus a 3-methyl group.
    so- 3-methylbutyl acetate

Example:

-----------------------------------------------------------------CH3
    ------------------------------------------------------------------|
    OH-CH2-CH2-CH2(CH3)-CH3 + CH3COOH --> CH3-C-O-CH2-CH2-CH-CH3
    --------------------------------------------------||
    --------------------------------------------------O

(Sorry it's a bit hard to draw the compound on this; Im currently capped and can't be bothered uploading a picture to a website).

Anyways, back to the Question.

What is the name of the substance?

Ethanoic + 3 mthyl, butanol -> H2o + " 2 methyl, butanyl ethanoate"

I've always thought you are not able to get a functional group, on a functional group. Looking at this we notice the butyl functional group attached to the ester (ethanoate). Then there is also a methyl group of this?

If that is actually the name, can someone please guide me in the right direction? - What is the general rule with having a Functional Group/Functional Group.

(P.S I do understand you can obviously get two SEPERATE functional groups, i've just never encountered a functional group on another).

Thanks, recoil33[/QUOTE]

4. Aug 25, 2010 #3

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is even easier than that.... isoamyl acetate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amyl_alcohol" [Broken] + water

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  5. Aug 28, 2010 #4

alxm

Science Advisor

How would a biochemistry test help with organic chemistry. Stop link spamming.

6. Aug 28, 2010 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

:confused: Shome mishtake?

Ah, now I see what you mean, you put too few --- in

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook