Euclidean Neighbourhoods are always open sets

This is also mentioned in the Wiki article.In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in understanding the concept of Euclidean neighborhoods in arbitrary topological spaces and the definition of a neighborhood in mathematics. It also touches upon the ambiguity of the term "neighborhood" and the Invariance of Domain theorem. The conversation ends with a clarification of the statement that every point in a locally Euclidean space has a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open subset of R^n.
Mathematics news on Phys.org
What exactly is your difficulty? A "Euclidean neighborhood" of a manifold is defined, in the first site you give, as a subset of the mainifold that has a continuous one-to-one map to a open set in Euclidean space. The "invariance of domain", the second site you reference, says that such a set must be open. I don't see anything left to prove, unless you want to prove "invariance of domain" itself, which is very hard.

Sorry this is a new subject to me so please bear with me.

I'm having difficulty with two things

First, we are talking about neighborhoods of arbitrary topological spaces. 'Invariance of domain' is a theorem about R^n. How does this theorem, which is restricted to R^n say anything about sets in topological spaces other than R^n? In particular, I don't see how it says that our original Euclidean neighborhood must be open, since it is a set in an arbitrary topological space

Second, I'm having some trouble with the statement 'By definition, every point of a locally Euclidean space has a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open subset of R^n'

By definition, a neighborhood of a point p in a topological space is a set (not necessarily open) containing an open set that contains p

By definition, a topological space X is called locally Euclidean if there is a non-negative integer n such that every point in X has a neighborhood which is homeomorphic to Euclidean space R^n (not a subset of R^n)

So how does it follow that 'By definition, every point of a locally Euclidean space has a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open subset of R^n'? Is the word 'neighbourhood' used differently in this instance, or am I being stupid as usual?

I should say that this claim is 'left to the reader' in a textbook I am reading and that Euclidean neighbourhoods are defined in the text as neighbourhoods homeomorphic to R^n for some non-negative integer n

Last edited:
lantern said:
By definition, a neighborhood of a point p in a topological space is a set (not necessarily open) containing an open set that contains p
This is not true. A subset N of a topological space M, with basis B, is a neighborhood of a point [itex]p\in M[/itex] iff [itex]N\in B[/itex] and [itex]p\in N[/itex]. A set O is open in M iff [itex]\forall x\in O, \exists N\in B[/itex] such that [itex]x\in N[/itex] and [itex]N\subseteq O[/itex]. The neighborhoods of a topological space determine the open sets; not the other way around. N need not contain any open sets other than itself, and as a corollary, N is necessarily open.

Last edited:
slider142 said:
This is not true. A subset N of a topological space M, with basis B, is a neighborhood of a point [itex]p\in M[/itex] iff [itex]N\in B[/itex] and [itex]p\in N[/itex]. A set O is open in M iff [itex]\forall x\in O, \exists N\in B[/itex] such that [itex]x\in N[/itex] and [itex]N\subseteq O[/itex]. The neighborhoods of a topological space determine the open sets; not the other way around. N need not contain any open sets other than itself.
hmmmm

well what i wrote down is the definition of neighbourhood given in the book I am trying to read. and it is also the definition given on this page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neighbourhood_(mathematics)

munkres topology book has the following definition/remarks:
munkres said:
[Mathematicians often] shorten the statement "U is an open set containing x" to the phrase "U is a neighborhood of x". (...) Some mathematicians use the term "neighborhood" differently. They say that A is a neighborhood of x if A merely contains an open set containing x.

thank you for your comment slider.

Interesting. The books I have start at neighborhood and define open sets from that. Yours starts at open sets and defines neighborhoods. The definition I know is also given at http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/Neighborhood.html . I didn't know it was this ambiguous! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
lantern said:
First, we are talking about neighborhoods of arbitrary topological spaces. 'Invariance of domain' is a theorem about R^n. How does this theorem, which is restricted to R^n say anything about sets in topological spaces other than R^n? In particular, I don't see how it says that our original Euclidean neighborhood must be open, since it is a set in an arbitrary topological space
The general Invariance of domain actually talks about n-dimensional manifolds, not Rn directly. This is also mentioned in the Wiki article.
Second, I'm having some trouble with the statement 'By definition, every point of a locally Euclidean space has a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open subset of R^n'

By definition, a topological space X is called locally Euclidean if there is a non-negative integer n such that every point in X has a neighborhood which is homeomorphic to Euclidean space R^n (not a subset of R^n)

So how does it follow that 'By definition, every point of a locally Euclidean space has a neighborhood homeomorphic to an open subset of R^n'?
Open subsets of Rn are topological n-manifolds, so if an n-manifold is homeomorphic to Rn, then since homeomorphism yields an equivalence relation between manifolds, we have the statement above.

1. What is Euclidean Neighbourhood and how is it related to open sets?

Euclidean Neighbourhoods refer to a set of points that are contained within a certain distance from a given point in Euclidean space. In topology, open sets are defined as sets that contain all of their limit points, and Euclidean Neighbourhoods are always open sets because they contain all of their points within a certain distance. This is known as the "open ball" property.

2. How are Euclidean Neighbourhoods different from other types of neighbourhoods?

Euclidean Neighbourhoods are specific to Euclidean space, which is a type of space that is defined by the Euclidean distance between points. This distance measure is based on the Pythagorean theorem and is commonly used in geometry. Other types of neighbourhoods may use different distance measures or may not have a defined distance metric at all.

3. Can Euclidean Neighbourhoods be infinite?

Yes, Euclidean Neighbourhoods can be infinite. In fact, in Euclidean space, the concept of a "point" can be thought of as an infinite neighbourhood containing all points that are arbitrarily close to it. This is because the distance between any two points in Euclidean space can be made arbitrarily small.

4. How are Euclidean Neighbourhoods used in mathematics and science?

Euclidean Neighbourhoods are used in a variety of mathematical and scientific fields, particularly in topology and geometry. They are also used in physics to describe the space around a point or object, and in computer science for algorithms and data structures that rely on geometric concepts.

5. Are Euclidean Neighbourhoods only applicable in 2D or 3D space?

No, Euclidean Neighbourhoods can be defined in any number of dimensions. They are commonly used in 2D and 3D space, but can also be extended to higher dimensions, such as 4D or beyond. The concept of distance and the Pythagorean theorem can be applied in any number of dimensions, making Euclidean Neighbourhoods applicable in all of them.