1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Eugenol and Eugenol acetate reaction questions

1. Nov 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Complete the following reactions, giving the correct structure for each organic product:
    eugenol + FeCl_3 ->

eugenol acetate + FeCl_3 ->

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

When I did this lab, my partner and I didn't notice a reaction when we added FeCl_3 to our eugenol product, but that seems too easy; why would they ask what the product is if there wasn't a reaction.

However, both eugenol and eugenol acetate have an alkene. I learned in lecture that when an alkene reacts with a halogen in the presence of a catalyst (Cl_2 and FeCl_3, respectfully) the double bond becomes a single bond and each side takes one of the halogen atoms. So does the alkene end simply become CClH-2-CClH_2 for both eugenol and eugenol acetate?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 14, 2012 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Not good, in theory you should observe a color change.

And you added a halogen?

4. Nov 14, 2012 #3
    Well, the solution with the eugenol products was clear, and the FeCl_3 was yellow, and when we mixed the two, the solution was yellow. I just assumed that it was because of the FeCl_3.

Yeah, this was why I was confused, because we didn't explicitly add a halogen.

I did some more reading, and I found something about Fe reacting and creating complexes with OH groups. Would the product for for Eugenol + FeCl_3 essentially be six pointed star with Fe at the center, bonded with the O from the OH group from the eugenol? And then, because eugenol acetate doesn't have any OH groups, it doesn't react with the FeCl_3?

5. Nov 14, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

So if you didn't add the halogen, it couldn't react with a double bond.

You are on the right track. Fe(III) should react with phenolic -OH creating a color complex. From what I read, in the case of eugenol color doesn't have to be stable.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook