Why does this E2 elimination produce 5 alkene products instead of 4?

  • Thread starter Thread starter leopard
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
leopard
Messages
123
Reaction score
0
rvvngj.jpg


How man different alkene-products, including stereoisomers, are possible when this molecule reacts in an E2 elimination reaction?

What will happen here is that I leaves the molecule, while a new double bond is created. The new bond can be created on two places, so that we have two different alkenes. We also have two stereoisomers (E and Z) for each of these solutions. I expect the answer to be 4.

However, the correct answer is 5. What's the last product?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
leopard said:
The new bond can be created on two places

I was never an organiker, but logic tells me that's not true.