1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Organic Chemistry: Sn2 Reactions - proposing a synthesis

1. Jun 21, 2016 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Propose a given synthesis of each of the following compounds starting with 1-butene
    a) 2-chlorobutane
    b) 2-methoxybutane
    c) 2-butanamine
    d) 2-butene (mixture of cis and trans)
    e) butane

The attempt at a solution
    I have the structures for 1-butene, as well as each of the desired products. My question.. how do you deal with a double bond in an Sn2 reaction? This is not something we covered in class, and I have absolutely no idea. I have the answers available, so I'm genuinely trying to understand this; I'm not just trying to simply get the right answers to hand in for homework.

The next question involves just single bonds, going from 2-butanol to all of the above compounds. I'm kind of in the same boat with those, and the answer key makes it seem like there are multiple steps to each one and multiple compounds added. I'm totally scratching my head at this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2016 #2

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

Why do you think you have to use SN2 reaction? It looks like most of these will be addition reactions.

4. Jul 24, 2016 #3
    I really think you should go back to the drawing board and re-understand the principles of substitution and addition. In addition to the site that @Ygggdrasil mentioned, you could also look at the following site : http://www.chemguide.co.uk/mechmenu.html#top

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted