Euler method for modeling simple harmonic oscillation

Hello!

An assignment for my computational modeling course is to demonstrate the use of the Standard Euler method for modeling a simple harmonic oscillator; in this case, a mass attached to the end of a spring.

I have the two coupled first-order differential equations satisfying hookes law: dx/dt = v, and dv/dt = -(k/m)*x

The numerical solutions of which are v(t + dt) = v(t) - k*x(t)*dt / m, and x(t + dt) = x(t) + v(t)*dt to model the velocity and position, respectively.

In a computer program, I've represented this as:

x = x + v*dt;
v = v - k*x*dt / m;
t = t + dt;

with dt = 0.04, m = 1, k = 1, and initial values v = 0, t = 0, and x = 5.

The Purpose of the exercise is to demonstrate how the standard Euler Method is non-stable and results in non-conserved energy.

When iterating the above Euler method for sufficiently large periods of time, I've expected x to grow larger after each period but my numerical method above is acting like a conserved-energy Improved Euler method (Euler-cromer)? Please see attached plot.

Attachments

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hello!

An assignment for my computational modeling course is to demonstrate the use of the Standard Euler method for modeling a simple harmonic oscillator; in this case, a mass attached to the end of a spring.

I have the two coupled first-order differential equations satisfying hookes law: dx/dt = v, and dv/dt = -(k/m)*x

The numerical solutions of which are v(t + dt) = v(t) - k*x(t)*dt / m, and x(t + dt) = x(t) + v(t)*dt to model the velocity and position, respectively.

x = x + v*dt;
v = v - k*x*dt / m;
t = t + dt;

with dt = 0.04, m = 1, k = 1, and initial values v = 0, t = 0, and x = 5.

The Purpose of the exercise is to demonstrate how the standard Euler Method is non-stable and results in non-conserved energy.

When iterating the above Euler method for sufficiently large periods of time, I've expected x to grow larger after each period but my numerical method above is acting like a conserved-energy Improved Euler method (Euler-cromer)? Please see attached plot.
Your plot shows only a few cycles, where the method should probably be "good enough." What is the energy as a function of time? Why not plot the energy error as a function of time? Error = PE_0 - (KE + PE) -- When you plot the difference, it will be much more obvious that the system is non-conservative.

DrClaude
Mentor

x = x + v*dt;
v = v - k*x*dt / m;
t = t + dt;
This does not implement the system of equations you have. Pay close attention to the time-dependence of the variables.

DrClaude
Mentor
Your plot shows only a few cycles, where the method should probably be "good enough."
Euler's method is bad enough that the error is clearly noticeable even after two cycles!

Quantum Defect
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This does not implement the system of equations you have. Pay close attention to the time-dependence of the variables.
... I missed that!

Thank you!

Modification:

e = (v*v/2) + (x*x/2);
a = -k*x / m;
x = x + v*dt;
v = v + a*dt;
t = t + dt;

Plotting e, t and x produces the following:

Attachments