1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evaluate a Trigonometric Function

1. Apr 10, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1. Given cos α = -24/25 in Quadrant II and sin β = -5/13 in Quadrant III, find sin (α + β).
    2. Given sin α = 4/5 in Quadrant I and cos β = -12/13 in Quadrant II, find cos (α + β).

2. Relevant equations
    I don't even know where to start! The textbook doesn't list any equations.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have none, other than guessing that you multiply the denominators in each problem... other than that, I don't even know how to solve these types of problems. I'm without a teacher, so I'd really like an explanation since I'm a little... really... lost about these problems. Thanks to anyone who can show me how I'd go about solving these! I need to know it for an upcoming final.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Draw pictures of your given angles in the given quadrants with little triangles showing the sides -- you can get the third side by the pythagorean theorem, so you know all the sines and cosines of the given angles. Then use the addition formulas for cos (α + β) and sin (α + β).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook