Evaluating an expression when x=infinity

• Thread starter AStaunton
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expression
In summary, the value of the expression -xe^{-x} when x=\infty is indeterminate and requires the use of L'Hopital's rule. By setting the functions f(x) = x and g(x) = e^x, we can find the limit as x goes to infinity to be 0. However, this is not always the case as infinity times 0 can equal any number, which is why it is not allowed.
AStaunton
can someone please tell me what is the value of the following expression when [tex]x=\infty[/tex]:

[tex]-xe^{-x}[/tex]

my guess is it is either -1 or 0 or -infinity...

Physics news on Phys.org
First, be careful of your terminology. You cannot "evaluate a function at x= infinity"- infinity is not a number. What you mean is "find the limit as x goes to infinity" (which, itself, is short for "as x gets larger and larger without bound").'

Since, as x "goes to infinity", [itex]e^{-x}[/itex] goes to 0, this is an indeterminant of the form "infinity times 0". It can be put in the form "infinity over infinity" by writing it as [itex]-x/e^x[/itex] and you can then use L'Hopital's rule.

infinity times 0 = 1 I thought?

I'm thinking this mainly due to the little I know Dirac Delta function..

after using l'hop's rule:

set f(x)=x g(x)=e^x
and f'(x)=1 g'(x)=e^x

I found f'/g'=1/infinity=0 which implies f/g=0..

Can you please confirm this is correct, as my skills with limits is very limited!

you should know that e^x grows very fast and the line y=x grows with slope 1 so it should be easy to picture what lim x--> infinity x/e^x is at x =1000 e^x is about 1.97 *10^434 so this limit is easy to guess

Yes, you are correct. But, in general, "infinity" times zero is not 1...it can be anything, which is why we do not allow it.

1. What does it mean to evaluate an expression when x=infinity?

Evaluating an expression when x=infinity means to find the value of the expression when x approaches infinity, or the largest possible number on the number line. This is also known as the limit of the expression as x approaches infinity.

2. How do you evaluate an expression when x=infinity?

To evaluate an expression when x=infinity, you can use the principles of limits. Simplify the expression as much as possible, then substitute in infinity for x. If the expression becomes undefined, then the limit does not exist. If it becomes a finite number, then that is the value of the expression when x=infinity.

3. Why is it important to evaluate an expression when x=infinity?

Evaluating an expression when x=infinity can help us understand the behavior of the expression as x gets larger and larger. It can also help us determine if the expression has a finite limit or if it approaches infinity as x increases.

4. Can an expression have a limit when x=infinity?

Yes, an expression can have a limit when x=infinity. This means that as x gets larger and larger, the expression approaches a finite number. However, it is also possible for the expression to approach infinity as x increases, in which case the limit does not exist.

5. How does evaluating an expression when x=infinity relate to real-world situations?

Evaluating an expression when x=infinity can help us understand real-world situations where values are approaching a maximum or minimum. For example, it can be used to model population growth or decay, as the population approaches a maximum or minimum value over time.