Even and odd Functions question

In summary, a function can be written as the sum of an even and an odd function. This can be proven by expressing the function as f(x) = (f(x)+f(-x))/2 + (f(x)-f(-x))/2 and defining h(x) = (f(x)+f(-x))/2 and k(x) = (f(x)-f(-x))/2. By applying the definitions of even and odd functions, it can be shown that h(x) is always even and k(x) is always odd. Therefore, every function can be written as the sum of an even and an odd function. This can be seen in examples such as sine and cosine, where sine is an odd function and cosine is an
Tido611
My prof said "every function is the sum of an even and an odd function, explain."

ive spent about 2 hours off and on thinking about this and i haven't come up with anything really.

is it because f(g(x)) is an even function if either f(x) or g(x) is even, and you can just split every function into simpler functions , one being even and the other odd? or is that just proving that every function is a product of an even and an odd?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Suppose you write f(x) as
[tex] f(x) = \frac{f(x)+f(-x)}{2} + \frac{f(x)-f(-x)}{2}[/tex]
Can you say anything about the evenness or oddness of (f(x)+f(-x)) and (f(x)-f(-x))?

is (f(x) + f(-x)) an even function because even function, f(x)= f(-x) and
is (f(x) - f(-x)) an odd function because even functions, f(x) = -f(x)?

im not really sure

Last edited:
First, do you agree that I can write
for any f(x)?

Second, do you know the definition of even and odd functions?
For an even function g(x): g(x) = g(-x)
For an odd function g(x): g(-x) = -g(x)

Now let h(x) = f(x)+f(-x)
and let k(x) = f(x) - f(-x)

Check to see if h or k are even or odd.

umm i agree with your second point but I am still not understanding the first one.

Ok, the point I'm trying to make is that for any f(x), I can always write

Now I'm going to define

[tex] h(x) = \frac{f(x)+f(-x)}{2} \;,\;\; k(x) = \frac{f(x)-f(-x)}{2}[/tex]

By our definitions of h and k, it is clearly true that
f(x) = h(x) + k(x)
So if you can show that h(x) is always even and k(x) is always odd, then you are done. To do this, apply the definition of even and odd functions.
i.e.
h(x) = 1/2(f(x) + f(-x))
h(-x) = 1/2(f(-x) + f(--x)) = 1/2(f(-x)+f(x)) = ?

Then do the same for k(x). If you find that h(x)=h(-x) or h(x)=-h(-x), then you can say h is even or odd.

Very Nice, now every thing makes sense thank you soo much but the only thing I am still wondering is where did the the 1/2 come from?

h(x) is the even function and k(x) is the odd function right?

but that doesn't really show that all functions are a sum of...

Last edited:
A lot of times it helps to rewrite things by cleverly adding 0 or multiplying by 1.
Consider
[tex] f(x) = \frac{2}{2}f(x) = \frac{1}{2}(f(x)+f(x)) = \frac{f(x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)}{2} = \frac{f(x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)}{2} + 0 = \frac{f(x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)}{2} + \left( f(-x) - f(-x) \right) =[/tex]

[tex] \frac{f(x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)}{2} + \frac{1}{2}\left( f(-x) - f(-x) \right) =[/tex]

[tex] \frac{f(x)}{2}+\frac{f(x)}{2} + \frac{f(-x)}{2}-\frac{f(-x)}{2} = \left(\frac{f(x)}{2}+\frac{f(-x)}{2} \right) + \left(\frac{f(x)}{2} -\frac{f(-x)}{2} \right)[/tex]

HaHa(giddy laugh)

LeBrad you are a King, thank you very much for you help.

By the way, sine and cosine are already odd and even functions (respectively) but ex is not. It's even and odd "parts"
are
[tex]\frac{e^x+ e^{-x}}{2}= cosh(x)[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{e^x- e^{-x}}{2}= sinh(x)[/tex]

1. What are even and odd functions?

Even and odd functions are types of mathematical functions that have specific symmetry properties. An even function is symmetric about the y-axis, meaning that if you reflect the graph of the function across the y-axis, it will look the same. An odd function is symmetric about the origin, meaning that if you reflect the graph of the function across the origin, it will look the same.

2. How can I tell if a function is even or odd?

To determine if a function is even or odd, you can use the symmetry properties mentioned above. If the function has symmetry across the y-axis, it is even. If it has symmetry across the origin, it is odd. You can also use the mathematical definitions of even and odd functions, which involve plugging in negative values for the input (x) and seeing if the output (y) stays the same for even functions, and changes sign for odd functions.

3. What types of functions are typically even or odd?

Many basic functions have even or odd symmetry, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. For example, all even powers of x (x^2, x^4, etc.) are even functions, and all odd powers of x (x^3, x^5, etc.) are odd functions. However, there are also functions that do not have even or odd symmetry, such as logarithmic functions and piecewise functions.

4. What is the significance of even and odd functions?

Even and odd functions have important applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to simplify calculations and solve equations, as well as model real-world phenomena. In physics, even and odd functions can represent even and odd symmetry in physical systems, such as the symmetry of electric fields.

5. Can a function be both even and odd?

No, a function cannot be both even and odd. This is because the definitions of even and odd functions are mutually exclusive - a function cannot have both types of symmetry at the same time. However, a function can have neither even nor odd symmetry, in which case it is called neither even nor odd, or simply neither.