Ever Play Stress (Stratego and Chess)?

In summary, the author mixed Stratego and Chess together and found that it was a lot of fun. There are some house rules to be agreed upon, and the game is simple but hectic.
Bab5space
So I mixed Stratego and Chess. How?

Step 1. Take a chess board and an amount of opposing stratego pieces equal to the usual chesss setup.

Step 2: Make or find stickers to put behind the stratego pieces that ID them as chess pieces, at least to you.

The other player will have to make educated guesses.

At any rate it adds a degree of bluffing to chess and uncertainty.

Ever tried it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm...

What about game rules?

bagasme said:
Hmmm...

What about game rules?
Same as normal chess, only you cannot see what the identity of your opponent' pieces are, although you can deduce it by movement.

How about a team version of Crazyhouse Chess?

4 people in 2 teams with respectively black and white pieces sit side by side and play the other team with the opposite colors. Instead of making a move you can ask your teammate for one of the pieces he captured from his opponent and put it anywhere on the board in your game.

We added the house rule that the captured piece cannot be placed so it checks the opponent's king or it became too aggressive. YMMV.

So, if you need a queen for a forced checkmate you just ask your teammate to take his opponent's no matter what. The winning team is the one that wins a game first. Doesn't matter which.

I remember it as a lot of fun. Good stressy fun. :P

Bab5space said:
Same as normal chess, only you cannot see what the identity of your opponent' pieces are, although you can deduce it by movement.

How can any one player know when the king is in check?

Last edited:
DrClaude said:
How can any one player know when the king is in check?

If that question is for me I'm not sure I understand your uncertainty.

Standard rules apply, except for the piece exchange and insert. We were using standard chess rules, only, my teammate could provide me with any piece - assuming his turn in the game he's playing and the desired piece being eligible for taking - provide me with it and I'd place it on the board in the game I'm playing - again assuming it's my turn.

It might be sensible to agree on some house rules though. Like are multiple white bishops allowed? That kind of thing. Apart from that it's pretty simple.

Simple but hectic. Especially if there's a clock involved.
:)

sbrothy said:
If that question is for me I'm not sure I understand your uncertainty.
My question was for the OP. I'll edit my post to make that clear.

DrClaude said:
My question was for the OP. I'll edit my post to make that clear.
Sure. I'll admit I was a bit mystified. I guess I should delete it all... Meh. I'm pretty bored. Maybe you can tell.

• Informative
Likes BvU
There is Fog of War, chess played in which only pieces next to one's own pieces can be seen. I has some popularity.

Bab5space said:
Much speculation like poker :rolleyes:

1. What is "Ever Play Stress"?

"Ever Play Stress" is a combination of two popular strategy games, Stratego and Chess. It combines elements from both games to create a unique and challenging experience.

2. How do you play "Ever Play Stress"?

The game is played on a board with a 10x10 grid. Each player has a set of pieces that represent different ranks and abilities. The objective is to capture the opponent's flag or all of their pieces. Players take turns moving their pieces and strategically attacking the opponent's pieces. The game ends when one player achieves their objective or when there are no more legal moves.

3. What are the differences between "Ever Play Stress" and Stratego/Chess?

"Ever Play Stress" combines elements from both games, so it has similarities to both but also some unique features. For example, like Stratego, players have hidden pieces and must use strategy to attack and defend. However, like Chess, each piece has a specific rank and abilities. Additionally, some pieces in "Ever Play Stress" have special abilities, like the Spy in Stratego or the Queen in Chess.

4. Is "Ever Play Stress" suitable for all ages?

Yes, "Ever Play Stress" can be enjoyed by players of all ages. It requires strategic thinking and planning, but the rules are simple enough for anyone to learn. It can also be played at different levels of difficulty, making it suitable for both beginners and experienced players.

5. Can "Ever Play Stress" be played online or is it only a physical board game?

Currently, "Ever Play Stress" is only available as a physical board game. However, there are online versions of both Stratego and Chess that players can use to recreate the game. There are also online communities and forums where players can discuss strategies and find opponents to play against.