Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ever used Physics knowledge to play a practical joke?

1. Jul 10, 2014 #1
    I'm not sure if I'm going to get any answers here, but I was just wondering... have any of you ever used your physics (or engineering/electrical) knowledge to play some kind of prank on someone?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2014 #2

WWGD

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not me, but IIRC the MIT engineering dept. is famous for it.

4. Jul 10, 2014 #3

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This was decades ago, so I forget the exact details, but the story goes something like the following.

In high school electronics class we built a simple RC circuit that made a small neon bulb flash. I modified my project so that the circuit triggered a power SCR or triac. I put the whole circuit in a hobbyist box that plugged into the wall, and put an outlet was in one side of the box.

While my mother was out, I plugged her bedside lamp into the box. She came home, turned on her lamp, which immediately started blinking, and said "George! Come quick! My light is going to explode!"

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  5. Jul 10, 2014 #4

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  6. Jul 10, 2014 #5

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I installed a digital readout upside-down. Didn't do it on purpose but after I noticed it, I thought, let it be :devil:.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook