Everage energy of a gas of quantom SHO

In summary, the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO can be solved to be Eav = hbar*omega / (e^(hbar*omega / kT) - 1), using the provided summation formulas. To simplify, plug in the given equations for the sums and simplify to find the correct expression.
Jason Gomez

Homework Statement

[/U]
The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO is

[tex]Eav= \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}n\hbar\omega e^(-n\hbar\omega/kT)\div \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}e^(-n\hbar\omega/kT)[/tex]

can be solved to be

[tex]Eav=\hbar\omega\div \left \{ e^\left ( \hbar\omega/kt \right ) \right \}-1[/tex]

make use of the following two sums, true when [x]<1:

[tex]\sum_{n=o}^{\infty }x^n=1/(1-x)[/tex]

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n=x/(1-x)^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

I tried dividing the two equations, and I think that is the right course of action, but I am not sure what to do with the summations, what I finally get looks like this:

[tex]\left \{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\div \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n\right \}= 1/(x-x^2)[/tex]

I am not sure, but can I just say:

[tex]n=1/\left ( x-x^2 \right )[/tex]
b]3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jason Gomez said:
[tex]\left \{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\div \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n\right \}= 1/(x-x^2)[/tex]

This is wrong. Use the provided formulas to plug in both of the fractions and do step by step simplification to find the correct expression. then, you will need to identify what x is in terms of the parameters given in the problem.

Thank you, I assume you mean plug in the summation equations that I am to make use of into the Eav equations provided, but I am not sure how. I think I may be making this problem harder than what it is, but I just can't rap my brain around it

You have a sum in the numerator and denominator of the expression. Both of them are evaluated for you in the statement of the problem.

Note:

The "[itex]\div[/itex]" sign means division which is the same as a fraction line.

I would approach this problem by first understanding the physical meaning of the equations. The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO is a measure of the average amount of energy possessed by each particle in the gas. This energy is dependent on the temperature (T) of the gas and the frequency (ω) of the SHO. The first equation provided is a mathematical representation of this average energy, which takes into account the different energy levels (n) of the SHO.

To solve for the average energy, we can use the two summation equations provided. By dividing the two equations, we can simplify the expression to:

Eav= \left \{\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n\div \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}nx^n\right \}= 1/(x-x^2)

We can then use the definition of the geometric series (x^n) to rewrite this expression as:

Eav=1/(x-x^2)=1/\left ( 1-x \right )-1

Substituting x=e^(-\hbar\omega/kT) into this expression, we get:

Eav=1/\left ( 1-e^(-\hbar\omega/kT) \right )-1

Finally, using the definition of the geometric series again, we can simplify this expression to:

Eav=\hbar\omega\div \left \{ e^\left ( \hbar\omega/kt \right ) \right \}-1

This is the final expression for the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO. It is important to note that this expression is only valid when x<1, which implies that the temperature of the gas must be greater than absolute zero. This makes sense, since at absolute zero, the particles would have no energy and the SHO would not be oscillating. Therefore, this expression is only valid at non-zero temperatures.

In conclusion, the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO can be solved using the two summation equations provided, and the final expression is dependent on the temperature and frequency of the SHO. This can be a useful tool for understanding the behavior of gases at the quantum level.

1. What is the concept of "average energy" in a gas of quantum SHO?

The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO (simple harmonic oscillators) is a measure of the average kinetic and potential energy of the particles in the gas. It is calculated by finding the average of the total energy of each particle in the gas.

2. How is the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO related to temperature?

The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO is directly proportional to the temperature of the gas. As temperature increases, the particles in the gas gain more energy and their average energy also increases.

3. What factors affect the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO?

The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO is affected by the temperature of the gas, the mass of the particles, and the frequency of the oscillators. Higher temperatures, lower mass, and higher frequency all lead to higher average energy.

4. How is the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO calculated?

The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO is calculated by taking the sum of the kinetic and potential energy of each particle in the gas and dividing it by the total number of particles in the gas.

5. What is the significance of the average energy of a gas of quantum SHO in understanding the behavior of gases?

The average energy of a gas of quantum SHO is a crucial concept in understanding the properties and behavior of gases. It helps to explain how gases behave differently at different temperatures and how energy is distributed among the particles in the gas. It also allows for the prediction of changes in energy and temperature in various gas systems.