Every closed ball in X is complete, then X is complete

• Thread starter mahler1
  • Start date
Homework Statement .
Prove that if every closed ball in a metric space X is a complete subspace, then X is complete.

The attempt at a solution.

Let ##\{x_n\}## be a cauchy sequence in X. Then, for ##ε=1##, ##\exists## ##n_0 \in \mathbb N##: ##\forall## ##m≥n_0##,##n≥n_0## ##d(x_m,x_n)<1##. Consider the closed ball centered at ##x_{n_0}## of radius 1. Then, the subsequence ##\{x'_n\}## such that ##x'_n=x_{n_0 + n-1}## is a subsequence of ##\{x_n\}## included in ##K(x_{n_0},1)## . By hypothesis, the ball is a complete subspace and the subsequence ##\{x'_n\}## is cauchy. But then ##\{x'_n\}## converges to some point ##x \in K(x_{n_0},1)## This implies ##\{x'_n\}## converges to the same point x in the metric space X. So the original sequence ##\{x_n\}## has a convergent subsequence that converges to the point x, this means that ##\{x_n\}## converges to x. I've proved that an arbitrary cauchy sequence in X is convergent, this implies every cauchy sequence in X is convergent, then X is a complete metric space.

Is my proof correct?

Answers and Replies

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Homework Statement .
Prove that if every closed ball in a metric space X is a complete subspace, then X is complete.

The attempt at a solution.

Let ##\{x_n\}## be a cauchy sequence in X. Then, for ##ε=1##, ##\exists## ##n_0 \in \mathbb N##: ##\forall## ##m≥n_0##,##n≥n_0## ##d(x_m,x_n)<1##. Consider the closed ball centered at ##x_{n_0}## of radius 1. Then, the subsequence ##\{x'_n\}## such that ##x'_n=x_{n_0 + n-1}## is a subsequence of ##\{x_n\}## included in ##K(x_{n_0},1)## . By hypothesis, the ball is a complete subspace and the subsequence ##\{x'_n\}## is cauchy. But then ##\{x'_n\}## converges to some point ##x \in K(x_{n_0},1)## This implies ##\{x'_n\}## converges to the same point x in the metric space X. So the original sequence ##\{x_n\}## has a convergent subsequence that converges to the point x, this means that ##\{x_n\}## converges to x. I've proved that an arbitrary cauchy sequence in X is convergent, this implies every cauchy sequence in X is convergent, then X is a complete metric space.

Is my proof correct?

Why are you having doubts? Eventually the tail of every cauchy sequence is contained in a closed ball. The closed ball is complete. So the sequence is convergent.

Why are you having doubts? Eventually the tail of every cauchy sequence is contained in a closed ball. The closed ball is complete. So the sequence is convergent.

Thank you, I'm new to proofs and mathematics in general so I usually have strong doubts on whether I am doing the exercises right or not. I suppose it's a newbie's insecurity.

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thank you, I'm new to proofs and mathematics in general so I usually have strong doubts on whether I am doing the exercises right or not. I suppose it's a newbie's insecurity.

Well, I thought that was a pretty fine and clear proof. I think you should start feeling less insecure.

The only thing is that you don't want to say ε=1.

Because your metric space may be "smaller" than the unit closed ball.

You could just say for some ε. But the proof seems fine

Dick
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
The only thing is that you don't want to say ε=1.

Because your metric space may be "smaller" than the unit closed ball.

You could just say for some ε. But the proof seems fine

A 'ball' in a metric space is just the set of all points x in the space such that |d(x,x0)|<=R. It doesn't have to be spherical. The proof really doesn't need any qualification.