Evidence that drug taking is bad.

• Thread starter mgb_phys
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Evidence
In summary: LSD?In summary, Albert Hoffman, the inventor of LSD, dies aged 102. Hoffman took LSD and experienced hallucinations that may have led to his eventual suicide. However, there are many who believe that had he not taken LSD, he would have lived a long and healthy life.
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Physics news on Phys.org
Albert Hoffman takes LSD and dies. Film at 11.

Hey, I'm fine with 102 and some drug use.

Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather.

102 and died while on a trip would be some news.
I'd take that as an ok way to go.

RIP Albert - and thanks, I owe you one.

Let's not make light of LSD, I know people that spent years in psychiatric hospitals, not to mention the ones that just became schizophrenic.

It's interesting to note that LSD was advocated by several prominent scientist at prominent universities when it first arose - it was even deemed to be conducive to scientific progress. Kary Mullis wrote up a science article on the nature of time when dosed on LSD from what I remember and it got published in Nature. I find all of this amazing - what made LSD so appealing to scientists?

Also to note what Evo mentioned - yes LSD can cause people to jump off buildings and have reoccuring hallucegenic episodes of getting eaten by a collective glob of man eating beetles even after being off the drugs for quite some time. I wonder how Hoffman survived LSD.

It's actually quite hard to physically overdose on LSD, and the lethal dose is well beyond what any person, even a hard-core drug user, would even consider approaching.

Mentally "overdosing" is another story, and quite easy. Horror stories involving hallucinogens usually involve people who take more than they can mentally handle, and end up either doing something stupid, or actually committing suicide (a bad trip on a high dose can actually be so horrifying that the person will choose suicide just to end it). Sometimes also people who don't know they were given LSD can, understandably, go mental.

On people who go crazy from hallucinogens, or report "flashbacks," as far as I've read, it seems to be a form of PTSD caused by the experience itself... much like trauma suffered by soldiers or war victims; a traumatic experience affects them so that they can become so mentally unstable that they must be hospitalized. I haven't seen an article that reports damage done by the actual chemical like you would find with cocaine or even pot (then again, not enough research is done on LSD so you can't really know).

So yea hallucinogens can be extremely dangerous if mishandled or overused, but they should have no effect on longevity or mental alertness (this is when one would play the Kary Banks Mullis card, but he's pretty out there lol) in someone who didn't go overboard with dosage and was mentally prepared to handle the experience.

Personally I have not touched a hallucinogen in over a year and don't plan on doing so any time in the near future, I haven't smoked pot in over 2 years, and barely even drink anymore. But I still find the subject fascinating and think hallucinogens should be researched more and understood better. And like I've said before, I don't think they are all-negative and destructive like most other recreational drugs (nor are they particularly recreational, seeing as the experience can be quite taxing).

I don't know that there's any evidence that LSD shortens the lifespan (other than what GCT mentioned of people doing things like jumping off roofs while hallucinating), but it can seriously screw you up mentally...and permanently so. So what if you live to 100 if you're spending 70 years coping with severe psychiatric illness you might have avoided if you stayed off the drugs.

GCT said:
Kary Mullis wrote up a science article on the nature of time when dosed on LSD from what I remember and it got published in Nature.

You made me curious, so I had to go look up that "paper." It reads exactly like you'd expect coming from someone on an acid trip. I'm amazed that it got published.

Moonbear said:
So what if you live to 100 if you're spending 70 years coping with severe psychiatric illness

Because they think they will be rewarded in the afterlife with eternal happiness.

Oh, I didn't read the part about drugs. Sorry.

I was promised flashbacks. 30yrs later, I am still waiting.

While there may have been casualties, and mental trauma from LSD, there were also 100's of 1000s who tried, and survived with NO ill effects.

Who is to say that those who went "schizo" after LSD would not have gone the same route had they never encountered the drug.

Opinions, and experiences referred to in this post are mine and mine along. Kids do not try this at home.

Stingray said:
You made me curious, so I had to go look up that "paper." It reads exactly like you'd expect coming from someone on an acid trip. I'm amazed that it got published.

LOL that's quite hilarious - was he mentioned as a professor? Even more interesting about this is why he was compelled to have it reviewed for publication in the first place ; it means that he was actually convinced of its merit at the time. There's two things that have gone wrong here 1)One of the most reputable research science journals publishes an article filled with bloody nonsense written by an individual dosed with LSD and then the extra morsel of surprise 2) they elevated the ranking of a drugged intoxicated student to pHD level physicist.

As Mullis stated in his book "there's something definitely amiss with the world" (something like that)

Stingray said:

At least they had an excuse - I've read a few that read as if the author was on an acid trip.

Poop-Loops said:
Because they think they will be rewarded in the afterlife with eternal happiness.

Oh, I didn't read the part about drugs. Sorry.

If you are suggesting that religion is a drug, do you have any evidence that it works
better than atheism?

It's a placebo that gives you all the side-effects of drugs. :smile:

Paranoia -- Someone is constantly watching you.
Psychosis -- you are talking to someone who nobody else can see or hear apparently.

Etc., etc., I'm tired, but you can fill in the rest.

You need to see a ventriloquist.

What is the evidence that drug taking can be harmful to the body?

There is a vast amount of research and evidence that shows that drug taking can have harmful effects on the body. These effects can range from short-term physical and mental effects, such as increased heart rate and anxiety, to long-term health consequences, such as organ damage and addiction.

What are the potential risks and dangers of using drugs?

The risks and dangers of using drugs can vary depending on the type of drug, the amount used, and the individual's overall health. Some potential risks include overdose, impaired judgment and decision making, increased risk of accidents or injuries, and the potential for addiction and other long-term health consequences.

Is there a safe way to use drugs without experiencing negative effects?

While some individuals may believe they can use drugs in a safe manner, the reality is that all drug use comes with inherent risks and potential consequences. Even when used in small amounts, drugs can still have harmful effects on the body and can lead to addiction and other health issues over time.

What impact does drug use have on society?

Drug use not only affects the individual using the drugs but also has a significant impact on society as a whole. It can lead to increased healthcare costs, strain on law enforcement and the criminal justice system, and decreased productivity and economic stability. Additionally, drug use can also harm relationships and communities.

How can we prevent the negative effects of drug taking?

The best way to prevent the negative effects of drug taking is to avoid drug use altogether. This includes making informed decisions about drug use, seeking support and treatment if struggling with addiction, and advocating for policies and programs that promote drug education and prevention. It is also important to address any underlying issues that may contribute to drug use, such as mental health concerns or peer pressure.