Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Volunteers take MDMA (ecstasy) live on TV tonight

1. Sep 26, 2012 #1

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Mod note: Use of recreational drugs is a hot button topic and previous threads don't have a good track record. Be advised this thread may be locked at any time. Please also note that the standard rules regarding illegal activity still apply.

For those who are interested and have access to it Channel 4 is putting on a show tonight and tomorrow at 10pm BST (UTC+1) which looks at the recreational drug ecstasy which will include volunteers taking the drug under controlled circumstances as an insight into its effects.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/drugs-live-the-ecstasy-trial/articles/homepage [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2012 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Taking drugs for a television show is not new (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4268896.stm), but I do wonder who would volunteer for taking hard drugs for six months? I assume the people must be naives to (the) drug(s) before participation? What ethical board approved the study?

4. Sep 26, 2012 #3

Ryan_m_b

What do you mean by naive? I imagine they're quite clued up as to what is currently known. MDMA does have a history of use in medicine (before a ban due to its recreational use) so its fairly well known. Prof. Nutt has published some interesting articles on the relative risk of various recreational drugs, indeed he was sacked from the governments advisory council on the misuse of drugs due to one of these talks contradicting government policy.

Given the prevelance of the drug and that currently there isn't much to suggest any negative health effects research designed to shed a bit more light was probably judged to be less of a risk than staying in the dark.

5. Sep 26, 2012 #4
    Being naive to a drug just means you have never taken it before. This use of the term come up a lot in studies of mentally ill people. It is difficult to study conditions like schizophrenia, for example, because it's difficult to find someone with the diagnosis who is medication naive and presents clear symptoms unmodified by medications.

6. Sep 26, 2012 #5

Ryan_m_b

Interesting, I've never come across the term before.

7. Sep 26, 2012 #6
    A handy term and not limited to drugs. I've read subjects described as naive to hypnosis as well. I suppose it could be applied in any case where prior exposure might alter the reaction.

8. Sep 26, 2012 #7

jedishrfu

one step beyond did a show in the early sixties called "The Sacred Mushroom" that was quite controversial at the time where the host John Newland took a trip to Mexico to meet a shaman and ingest a mushroom to enhance his "psychic" ability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Step_Beyond_(TV_series [Broken])

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Sep 26, 2012 #8

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm wondering what's to be learned here; or is it just for "entertainment"? This stuff has been around for a while. I believe one of the earlier similar compounds was MDA (3,4-Methylenedioxyamphetamine) which the US Army experimented with.

Anyway.
    peace-sign.gif

10. Sep 26, 2012 #9

Ryan_m_b

I believe the point is to look at exactly what is happening in the brains of these people over time as well as educate the public.

11. Sep 26, 2012 #10
    According to your quote, it's the first time the brains of people on ecstasy will have been imaged by fmri. Doing this on live TV seems like creating a spectacle, though.

12. Sep 26, 2012 #11

Ryan_m_b

I can see the argument for one, the other and both. On the one hand it could be an informative piece that stirs up reasonable debate in the public sphere, on the other band it could be seen as a shallow attempt to boost ratings with controversy and voyeurism. Or it could be a bit of both.

At the moment I'm optimistic for the former, we'll see in a couple of hours.

13. Sep 26, 2012 #12
    I'm pretty sure it's not airing in the US, so you'll have to report.

14. Sep 26, 2012 #13

Evo

I thought the concern was long term effects of use, and even long after the drug was stopped.

15. Sep 26, 2012 #14
    I remember some commercials that mentioned some kids who died just from taking ecstasy once. I guess that was propaganda?

16. Sep 26, 2012 #15

Evo

The problem is that it's often taken with other potent drugs, and deaths do occur.

17. Sep 26, 2012 #16
    One thing more concerns me that there appears to be positive correlation between social circles that heavily use drugs and those that engage in criminal activities. Social implications of consuming drugs, particularly that are classified as illegal, on regular basis are more or equally important as effect on personal health.

18. Sep 26, 2012 #17

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

And in this case, somebody died from overdoing the "safety precautions" and drinking 7 liters of water in 90 minutes. FWIW the original media stories were that it was death following the first use of E, but that later turned out to be untrue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leah_Betts

But whatever the actual cause of death, you could argue that a normally intelligent 18 year old wouldn't drimk that much water without a reason, and it's fairly clear what the reason was.

19. Sep 26, 2012 #18

Evo

What does that have to do with the dangers of MDMA? Surely you aren't arguing that death due to drugs is not of concern because some idiot could be coaxed into drinking too much water to win a Wii out of greed.

Drugs of this nature impair judgement.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  20. Sep 26, 2012 #19

Astronuc

Exactly - besides the potential physiological damage done from the drug (and other drugs) and the stupid things that some folks do under the influence.

Also, in many cases, there is no control of dose or control of other impurities.

And some folks may start with a cognitive (intelligence) deficit.

21. Sep 27, 2012 #20

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that's exactly what I meant with naive: previously unexposed to MDMA.

I collaborate with people doing fMRI and other brain-imaging studies in psychiatric conditions and you put the finger on the right spot: the influence of prior/ongoing medication on brain development/functioning often comes up.

I don't know how the MDMA study is designed, but if you put out a call for people to undergo brain imaging while taking the drug it's likely that people who have previously taken MDMA will apply to participate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook