Is Drinking Too Much Water Actually Bad for Us?

• Thread starter rootX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Water
In summary, drinking lots of water is not harmful in and of itself, but there are risks if you drink too much and don't take into account salt levels.
rootX
Physics news on Phys.org
This just sounds like common sense to me drinking "when you're not thirsty, in a mechanical way" is clearly not healthy! Anything, if taken in excess, is bad for you.

cristo said:
This just sounds like common sense to me drinking "when you're not thirsty, in a mechanical way" is clearly not healthy! Anything, if taken in excess, is bad for you.

Moderation in all things implies that you should be moderately moderate.. this demands an occasional excess.

But what is to much? How much does the average person drink? Anything beyond 2-3 liters per day is probably somewhat moronic.

It's even a problem if you are thirsty, a couple of marathon runners have died from drinking too much water after sweating so much they lost enough sodium.
A couple of years ago there was a teenager in the UK that died after taking ecstacy - this was followed by a massive police/media campaign against the drug, before it turned out she died from drinking too much water!

Fearless said:
But what is to much? How much does the average person drink? Anything beyond 2-3 liters per day is probably somewhat moronic.

I don't think one should put a number on how much water you should drink. Your body let's you know when you need water - it's called being thirsty.

Daniel Y: Today it's a very hot day. Running 7 km's in the hot sun and not drinking AT least some water before you start to run and at least one L when you get home is rather stupid. Because the body is probably to tired to send out "thirst"-signals or maybe you don't notice that you get more and more tired because you haven't drunk the water you lost while running. Forcing some water down after running a hot and sunny day is a good thing. :)

Besides, Cristo is right on spot. To much of anything is bad.

I always heard "drink lots of water" so I never thought it would kill someone.

I think majority of people don't know about "hyponatremia".

Some college kids will do the "gallon challenge" or even more water to get a high, but it has ended badly.

Daniel Y. said:
I don't think one should put a number on how much water you should drink. Your body let's you know when you need water - it's called being thirsty.

Actually, thirst is a pretty poor indicator of when to drink. If you become thirsty, you've already become dehydrated to some extent. If you're in a situation where you're likely to lose fluids more than normal (exercise, hot weather, exposure) you should drink before you get thirsty. You're far more likely to cause yourself harm by dehydration than from water intoxication. Drink lots of water by all means; just not all at once!

Homicide investigators in Sacramento County, Calif., are now involved in the death of a woman who competed in a radio station contest last week.

A medical examiner said the woman died of water intoxication. The show's DJs called the contest "Hold your Wee for a Wii."

http://www.nbc11.com/news/10762819/detail.html

brewnog said:
Actually, thirst is a pretty poor indicator of when to drink. If you become thirsty, you've already become dehydrated to some extent. If you're in a situation where you're likely to lose fluids more than normal (exercise, hot weather, exposure) you should drink before you get thirsty. You're far more likely to cause yourself harm by dehydration than from water intoxication. Drink lots of water by all means; just not all at once!

Yeah... My roommate last year was from Chicago and wasn't used to Tucson weather. One day he had to be taken to the hospital due to dehydration. He thought it was weird because he "drank some pepsi earlier in the day"... Uhhh...

Evo said:
Drinking too much water causes a condition called hyponatremia, it is very serious and can kill you. This isn't a joking matter.

Here is information on it.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time.

I would never worry about it.

Honestly, the only time it is a risk is if you're doing lots of cardiovascular exercise and you drink lots of water and forgot about sodium. Other than that, no worries. Seriously.

Drink Gatorade or juice instead of water when exercising and you'll be fine.

1. Why is too much water bad for the body?

Too much water can lead to a condition called water intoxication, where the electrolyte balance in the body is disrupted. This can cause symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, headaches, and in severe cases, seizures and even death.

2. How much water is considered "too much"?

The amount of water that is considered "too much" varies depending on factors such as age, weight, and activity level. As a general guideline, drinking more than 2-3 liters of water in a short period of time can be harmful.

3. Can drinking too much water lead to dehydration?

Yes, ironically, drinking too much water can lead to dehydration. When the body has too much water, it tries to balance out the electrolyte levels by excreting excess water through urine. This can result in dehydration and symptoms such as thirst, dry mouth, and fatigue.

4. What are the long-term effects of consuming too much water?

Chronic excessive water intake can put strain on the kidneys and other organs, leading to potential health problems such as kidney damage, high blood pressure, and heart problems.

5. Is it possible to die from drinking too much water?

Yes, it is possible to die from drinking too much water. In severe cases of water intoxication, the body's electrolyte balance can become so disrupted that it can lead to brain swelling, coma, and even death.