Evil, and the art of architecture
- Thread starter arildno
- Start date
-
- Tags
- Architecture Art
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
24 replies · 7K views
Physics news on Phys.org
Discussion
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Evil architecture or evil architects?
Did you want this deleted?
Did you want this deleted?
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Well, I think if we try hard enough we can come up with something involving evil architecture.
I've purchased high heeled shoes before that although initially looked innocent proved to be pure evil.
I've purchased high heeled shoes before that although initially looked innocent proved to be pure evil.
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
Evo said:I've purchased high heeled shoes before that although initially looked innocent proved to be pure evil.
I assume you never learned how to walk in them?
Btw, a friend of mine could literarily run upstairs and downstairs in high heels without breaking her neck. A true genious.
Ki Man
- 539
- 0
Freemasons evolved from actual masons. that's about as far as it goes.
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
I used to be a mason's assistant - the guy that has to carry the blocks, bricks, and mortar around.
I was only around 135 pounds when I started and a wheel barrow full of mortar weighs around 300 pounds. I had ramps with banked turns because once I got the wheel barrow going, it wasn't going to stop until the bottom of the basement.
Other, bigger assistants considered the design of those ramps to be pure evil.
I was only around 135 pounds when I started and a wheel barrow full of mortar weighs around 300 pounds. I had ramps with banked turns because once I got the wheel barrow going, it wasn't going to stop until the bottom of the basement.
Other, bigger assistants considered the design of those ramps to be pure evil.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
radou said:I assume you never learned how to walk in them?![]()
Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels? 
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
I have some 25 year old cowboy boots with stacked leather heels that give a great instep for motorcycle footpegs and are so soft that they are VERY comfortable. Now, I don't for a minute think that I could walk in 3-4" heels, though I have a couple of (short) young female cousins who seem to pull it off with grace. Once, (centuries back) men wore high heels, too.Evo said:Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels?
![]()
![]()
Smurf
- 497
- 3
we should move this to GD
Some people, eh Evo? Next he'll be saying we don't wear dresses!
Evo said:Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels?
![]()
![]()
Some people, eh Evo? Next he'll be saying we don't wear dresses!
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
This is how some of the greatest threads were born.
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
My friend and I built his first house out of rocks that we got by tearing down rock walls that ran through the woods of his father's property. Every night after work, I would head up there and either gather more stones, lay out stones in likely places where they could be incorporated into a wall, etc, until he got out of work, at which time I'd fire up the mixer, get a batch of mortar going and we'd start laying up stone until dusk. At the time, we were both about 130# soaking wet and lots of the rocks weighed more than we did. We had no helpers, and his teenage nephews didn't pitch in, so we built the place by ourselves. It was a small house - only 16x24, but he couldn't afford anything bigger at the time and it would have been tough for us to build anything much bigger in our spare time. By the end of the summer, you would not want to have tangled with either of us. We were both in pretty good shape going into the project, but we were stringy/tough coming out of it. His father was a disabled mason, so his main job was to come up with a Pabst or two and holler mason witticisms like "Lay 'em rough, and joint 'em pretty!"BobG said:I used to be a mason's assistant - the guy that has to carry the blocks, bricks, and mortar around.
Homework Helper
- 3,149
- 8
Evo said:Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels?
![]()
![]()
Huh? I don't think I'm following..
turbo-1 said:Once, (centuries back) men wore high heels, too.
Really? You mean, like http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/cities/high%20heels.jpg" or so..? Gross.
Last edited by a moderator:
turbo
Gold Member
- 3,181
- 57
Well, no. During the 1500s and 1600s French courtiers wore high-heeled shoes to increase their stature, and as a fashion statement. European horsemen adopted riding boots with high heels to provide a more prominent instep to retain the stirrups better in maneuvers, and the modern-day equivalent is the Western cowboy boot, which I feel is superior to the work-boots that a lot of motorcycle riders wear because they are lighter, and more flexible and comfortable, with a more pronounced instep. Other Harley riders I encounter are often wearing clunky black work boots (often with Harley logos on them) - I wear some well-broken-in brown Acme cowboy boots with rubber sole pads (not the traditional pegged leather) for traction. And no, Evo, I do not have a big pot belly and a silver trophy buckle the size of a dinner plate, nor the hat. Just the boots. They're perfect for the task.radou said:Huh? I don't think I'm following..
Really? You mean, like http://internetservices.readingeagle.com/blog/cities/high%20heels.jpg" or so..? Gross.![]()
Last edited by a moderator:
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
- 734
- 4
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
- 10,165
- 138
Guattari's Chaosmosis: An ethico-aesthetic paradigm
These are the beginning lines:
Feel free to form discourses of the meaning and non-meaning of this, if you like.
These are the beginning lines:
Aah, the joys of post-modernism!felix guattari said:Notions of jouissance exist only insofar as they are self-adjoint. There can exist no unambiguous metric while beauty remains a purely transcendental and immutable notion.
Feel free to form discourses of the meaning and non-meaning of this, if you like.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
arildno said:These are the beginning lines:
Aah, the joys of post-modernism!
Feel free to form discourses of the meaning and non-meaning of this, if you like.![]()
You are an evil Norweed.

Evo
Staff Emeritus
- 24,114
- 3,277
Oooh, happy early birthday!arildno said:That may be, but:
I want my birthday present tomorrow, all the same.
fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
- 734
- 4
thanks so much!
Happy Birthday!
Happy Birthday!
Andre
- 4,296
- 73
arildno said:There can exist no unambiguous metric while beauty remains a purely transcendental and immutable notion.
No, some beauty can be measured. The ISO standard unit is a milli-helen
This is the amount of beauty capable of causing the launching of a single ship
Happy Birthday
Science Advisor
- 365
- 88
Andre said:
That's a very ambiguous metric.
How big a ship are we talking about here? The Greeks may have had over a 1,000 ships (probably over 1100?), but the size varied greatly. The crews ranged from 50 to 120 in various size ships.
If you made some very questionable assumptions that each size of ship was equally likely, you could say a milli-helen was the amount of beauty required to launch a 90' ship with an 85 man crew, but you'd virtually be attaching a number just for the sake of attaching a number.
In today's world, I'd still have trouble converting that. Does it require 12 millihelens of beauty to launch a 1,092' Nimitz class carrier or 66 millihelens to launch a Nimitz class carrier manned by a crew of 5600?
Personally, I'd rate the beauty of the women in the PF sisterhood as being in the 1.5 kiloNimitz range.
Similar threads
- turbo
- · Replies 8 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 8
- elias001
- · Replies 102 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 102
- Cyrus
- · Replies 10 ·
- General Discussion
- Replies
- 10
- A.J.710
- · Replies 12 ·
- AI and Computer Science
- Replies
- 12
- ver_mathstats
- · Replies 10 ·
- Engineering and Comp Sci Homework Help
- Replies
- 10
- brainbaby
- · Replies 14 ·
- Computing and Technology
- Replies
- 14
- Kat3011
- · Replies 3 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 3
- Ad VanderVen
- · Replies 9 ·
- Special and General Relativity
- Replies
- 9
- Stephen Tashi
- · Replies 3 ·
- General Engineering
- Replies
- 3
- samya__
- · Replies 5 ·
- STEM Academic Advising
- Replies
- 5