Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Evil, and the art of architecture

1. Jun 11, 2007 #1

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sorry, I lost it.

I really thought there was a connention somewhere, though. :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 11, 2007 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Evil architecture or evil architects?

Did you want this deleted?

4. Jun 11, 2007 #3

berkeman

You lost it, or you're losing it? :rofl:

5. Jun 11, 2007 #4

radou

Homework Helper

:rofl:

When I saw the name of this thread, I expected some detailed elaboration of a conspiracy theory by arildno, and all I got was... :tongue:

6. Jun 11, 2007 #5

Evo

Well, I think if we try hard enough we can come up with something involving evil architecture.

I've purchased high heeled shoes before that although initially looked innocent proved to be pure evil.

7. Jun 11, 2007 #6

radou

Homework Helper

I assume you never learned how to walk in them? :biggrin:

Btw, a friend of mine could literarily run upstairs and downstairs in high heels without breaking her neck. A true genious.

8. Jun 11, 2007 #7
    Freemasons evolved from actual masons. thats about as far as it goes.

9. Jun 11, 2007 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I used to be a mason's assistant - the guy that has to carry the blocks, bricks, and mortar around.

I was only around 135 pounds when I started and a wheel barrow full of mortar weighs around 300 pounds. I had ramps with banked turns because once I got the wheel barrow going, it wasn't going to stop until the bottom of the basement.

Other, bigger assistants considered the design of those ramps to be pure evil.

10. Jun 11, 2007 #9

Evo

:devil: Why do you think men don't wear high heels? Who do you think invented high heels? :grumpy: :mad: :devil:

11. Jun 11, 2007 #10

turbo

Gold Member

I have some 25 year old cowboy boots with stacked leather heels that give a great instep for motorcycle footpegs and are so soft that they are VERY comfortable. Now, I don't for a minute think that I could walk in 3-4" heels, though I have a couple of (short) young female cousins who seem to pull it off with grace. Once, (centuries back) men wore high heels, too.

12. Jun 11, 2007 #11
    we should move this to GD

Some people, eh Evo? Next he'll be saying we don't wear dresses!

13. Jun 12, 2007 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A thread hath been born, without a purpose fathering it! :smile:

14. Jun 12, 2007 #13

Evo

This is how some of the greatest threads were born.

15. Jun 12, 2007 #14

turbo

Gold Member

My friend and I built his first house out of rocks that we got by tearing down rock walls that ran through the woods of his father's property. Every night after work, I would head up there and either gather more stones, lay out stones in likely places where they could be incorporated into a wall, etc, until he got out of work, at which time I'd fire up the mixer, get a batch of mortar going and we'd start laying up stone until dusk. At the time, we were both about 130# soaking wet and lots of the rocks weighed more than we did. We had no helpers, and his teenage nephews didn't pitch in, so we built the place by ourselves. It was a small house - only 16x24, but he couldn't afford anything bigger at the time and it would have been tough for us to build anything much bigger in our spare time. By the end of the summer, you would not want to have tangled with either of us. We were both in pretty good shape going into the project, but we were stringy/tough coming out of it. His father was a disabled mason, so his main job was to come up with a Pabst or two and holler mason witticisms like "Lay 'em rough, and joint 'em pretty!"

16. Jun 12, 2007 #15

radou

Homework Helper

Huh? I don't think I'm following..

Really? You mean, like these or so..? Gross. :yuck::tongue:

17. Jun 12, 2007 #16

turbo

Gold Member

Well, no. During the 1500s and 1600s French courtiers wore high-heeled shoes to increase their stature, and as a fashion statement. European horsemen adopted riding boots with high heels to provide a more prominent instep to retain the stirrups better in maneuvers, and the modern-day equivalent is the Western cowboy boot, which I feel is superior to the work-boots that a lot of motorcycle riders wear because they are lighter, and more flexible and comfortable, with a more pronounced instep. Other Harley riders I encounter are often wearing clunky black work boots (often with Harley logos on them) - I wear some well-broken-in brown Acme cowboy boots with rubber sole pads (not the traditional pegged leather) for traction. And no, Evo, I do not have a big pot belly and a silver trophy buckle the size of a dinner plate, nor the hat. Just the boots. They're perfect for the task.

18. Jun 12, 2007 #17

radou

Homework Helper

:rofl::rofl:

19. Jun 13, 2007 #18

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

20. Jun 13, 2007 #19

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Guattari's Chaosmosis: An ethico-aesthetic paradigm

These are the beginning lines:

Aah, the joys of post-modernism!

Feel free to form discourses of the meaning and non-meaning of this, if you like. :smile:

21. Jun 13, 2007 #20

Evo

:surprised

You are an evil Norweed. :devil:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?