Exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation

In summary, the speaker is discussing their model of multiple gaps in a square lattice and the associated Hamiltonian, which they simplified to make it quadratic. They then mention their Nambu operator and their attempts at diagonalizing the matrix with Bogoliubov transformations and possibly brute force. They are wondering if there is a smarter transformation that would allow them to write the diagonalized form more simply, similar to the BCS Superconductivity expression.
arojo
Hello all,

I am developing a model of multiple gaps in a square lattice. I simplified the associated Hamiltonian to make it quadratic. In this approximation it is given by,

[tex]
H =
\begin{pmatrix}
\xi_\mathbf{k} & -\sigma U_1 & -U_2 & -U_2\\
-\sigma U_1 & \xi_{\mathbf{k}+(\pi,\pi)} & 0 & 0\\
- U_2 & 0 & \xi_{\mathbf{k}+(\pi/2,0)} & 0\\
- U_2 & 0 & 0 & \xi_{\mathbf{k}+(0,\pi/2)}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

And my Nambu operator is given by,

[tex]
ψ_\mathbf{k} =
\begin{pmatrix}
c_{\mathbf{k},\sigma} \\
c_{\mathbf{k}+(\pi,\pi),\sigma} \\
c_{\mathbf{k}+(\pi/2,0),\sigma} \\
c_{\mathbf{k}+(0,\pi/2),\sigma}
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]

I tried to diagonalized by making three Bogoliubov transformations, the first to diagonalize the upper right submatrix of H, and then the two others (a sort of nested transformations). But I get a lengthy result, what I would like to know if there is a smart transformation which allows me to write

[tex] H = A_1^\dagger A_2^\dagger A_3^\dagger D A_3 A_2 A_1 [/tex]

or simply

[tex] H = U^\dagger D U [/tex]

Or the only way is to use just brute force?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Diagonalizing a 4x4 matrix can be done analytically, as the eigenvalues result as solutions of a fourth order polynomial which may be of special form. Have you tried?

Hi DrDu,

Actually I started by doing precisely that, but I got a messy result. Which certainly is analytical but hard "to read", at least from the point of view of getting an idea of what is going on without doing the numerics.
Actually I should rephrase my question as is there any elegant representation or expression of the diagonalization as for example the one obtained in BCS Superconductivity?
Thanks

Last edited:

1. What is exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation?

Exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation is a mathematical technique used in many-body quantum systems to find the exact eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian. It involves transforming the Hamiltonian into a diagonal form using a series of Bogoliubov transformations.

2. When is exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation used?

Exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation is often used in systems with a large number of interacting particles, such as in condensed matter physics or quantum field theory. It is particularly useful for studying the behavior of superconductors and superfluids.

3. How does the Bogoliubov transformation work?

The Bogoliubov transformation involves changing the basis of the Hamiltonian by introducing new creation and annihilation operators that are linear combinations of the original ones. This transformation allows for the diagonalization of the Hamiltonian, making it easier to calculate the eigenstates and eigenvalues.

4. What is the advantage of using exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation?

The main advantage of using exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation is that it allows for the calculation of the exact eigenstates and eigenvalues of a Hamiltonian, which can provide valuable insights into the behavior of a quantum system. It is also more accurate than other approximation methods, such as mean-field theory.

5. Are there any limitations to using exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation?

Yes, there are limitations to using exact diagonalization by Bogoliubov transformation. It is most effective for systems with a small number of particles, as the computational cost increases exponentially with the number of particles. It is also limited to systems with a finite number of degrees of freedom and cannot be applied to infinite or continuous systems.