Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Exact expression for the tensor-to-scalar ratio

1. Feb 28, 2017 #1
    Based on the vast cosmology texts, I have seen that the expression for the tensor-to-scalar ratio ##r## in cold inflation is,

##r=16\epsilon_H = -16\frac{\dot H}{H^2}\qquad## where, ##~~~\epsilon_H = -\frac{\dot H}{H^2}##

##H## is the Hubble parameter, and ##\epsilon_H## is the Hubble slow roll parameter.

I want to know if this expression is exact or approximation only? I want to numerically compute ##r## but in the case of warm inflation.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2017 #2

bapowell

Science Advisor

It's a lowest-order approximation. To get an exact value, you must numerically compute the amplitudes of the tensor and scalar perturbation spectra at the scale of interest.

4. Mar 2, 2017 #3
    ##\tilde \omega##
    Oh, since ##~r=\frac{P_T}{P_S}~## where ##P_T## is the tensor amplitude and ##P_S## is the scalar amplitude. But where can I find a reference for ##P_S## in warm inflation? I only know of that in cold inflation, and I think ##P_T## is the same as in the cold inflation since ##P_T## doesn't couple strongly to the thermal background so gravitational waves are only generated by quantum fluctuations.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  5. Mar 2, 2017 #4

bapowell

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted