Exact expression for the tensor-to-scalar ratio

In summary, the expression for the tensor-to-scalar ratio ##r## in cold inflation is a lowest-order approximation, given by ##16\epsilon_H = -16\frac{\dot H}{H^2}##, where ##H## is the Hubble parameter and ##\epsilon_H## is the Hubble slow roll parameter. To obtain an exact value, one must numerically compute the amplitudes of the tensor and scalar perturbation spectra at the desired scale. In warm inflation, the amplitudes may differ from those in cold inflation, but there is currently limited research on this topic.
Whitehole
Based on the vast cosmology texts, I have seen that the expression for the tensor-to-scalar ratio ##r## in cold inflation is,

##r=16\epsilon_H = -16\frac{\dot H}{H^2}\qquad## where, ##~~~\epsilon_H = -\frac{\dot H}{H^2}##

##H## is the Hubble parameter, and ##\epsilon_H## is the Hubble slow roll parameter.

I want to know if this expression is exact or approximation only? I want to numerically compute ##r## but in the case of warm inflation.

Last edited:
Space news on Phys.org
Whitehole said:
Based on the vast cosmology texts, I have seen that the expression for the tensor-to-scalar ratio ##r## in cold inflation is,

##r=16\epsilon_H = -16\frac{\dot H}{H^2}\qquad## where, ##~~~\epsilon_H = -\frac{\dot H}{H^2}##

##H## is the Hubble parameter, and ##\epsilon_H## is the Hubble slow roll parameter.

I want to know if this expression is exact or approximation only? I want to numerically compute ##r## but in the case of warm inflation.
It's a lowest-order approximation. To get an exact value, you must numerically compute the amplitudes of the tensor and scalar perturbation spectra at the scale of interest.

##\tilde \omega##
bapowell said:
It's a lowest-order approximation. To get an exact value, you must numerically compute the amplitudes of the tensor and scalar perturbation spectra at the scale of interest.
Oh, since ##~r=\frac{P_T}{P_S}~## where ##P_T## is the tensor amplitude and ##P_S## is the scalar amplitude. But where can I find a reference for ##P_S## in warm inflation? I only know of that in cold inflation, and I think ##P_T## is the same as in the cold inflation since ##P_T## doesn't couple strongly to the thermal background so gravitational waves are only generated by quantum fluctuations.

Last edited:

1. What is the tensor-to-scalar ratio?

The tensor-to-scalar ratio, also known as r, is a measure of the relative strength of gravitational waves compared to density fluctuations in the early universe. It is a key parameter in inflationary cosmology and can provide insight into the physics of the early universe.

2. How is the tensor-to-scalar ratio calculated?

The tensor-to-scalar ratio is typically calculated using data from cosmic microwave background (CMB) experiments. It involves analyzing the power spectrum of the CMB to determine the amplitude of density fluctuations and using this to estimate the amplitude of gravitational waves. The ratio of these two values gives the tensor-to-scalar ratio.

3. What is the significance of the tensor-to-scalar ratio?

The tensor-to-scalar ratio is significant because it can help distinguish between different inflationary models. Each model predicts a specific value for r, so by measuring it accurately, we can determine which model is most likely to be correct. It also provides important constraints on the energy scale of inflation and the properties of the early universe.

4. What is the current best estimate for the tensor-to-scalar ratio?

The current best estimate for the tensor-to-scalar ratio is r = 0.055 ± 0.009, based on data from the Planck satellite's observations of the CMB. This value is consistent with the predictions of many inflationary models and provides important constraints for future studies of the early universe.

5. How does the tensor-to-scalar ratio relate to the concept of primordial gravitational waves?

The tensor-to-scalar ratio is directly related to the amplitude of primordial gravitational waves, which are ripples in the fabric of spacetime that were generated during inflation. A larger value of r indicates a stronger presence of these waves in the early universe, providing valuable information about the physics of inflation and the structure of the universe on very small scales.