Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Example involving conditional probability and transitivity

1. Sep 9, 2013 #1
    I'm just going to post a screenshot of the Example (free online textbook). I'm having a tough time making the leap to the first sum - what allows me to rewrite P(T|A) as the sum of the product of those two conditional probabilities?

x0YhzYJ.png

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2013 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It doesn't have anything to do with the fact that you have a conditional probability to start, it's an application of the more general statement
    [tex] P(X=true) = P(X=true | Y = true)P(Y= true) + P(X = true | Y = false)P(Y = false) [/tex]

4. Sep 9, 2013 #3
    Well I understand the bolded statement. I don't know why it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that I'm dealing with a conditional probability, since it's P( T = tr | A = tr ). In my mind I'm looking for an algebraic substitution or something that I know that allows me to manipulate this into something resembling P(T|A,F). What I don't know is where the P(T|A,F)*P(F|A) comes from or how I could get there.

For example, why not P(T|F,A)*P(F) and sum over F? Why is it P(F|A)?

5. Sep 10, 2013 #4
    Ok, I found what I was looking for. It's an application of the law of total probability for conditional probabilities:

8UvY6P4.png

6. Sep 10, 2013 #5

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

What is the notation "P(T|A,F)" supposed to mean? It isn't consistent with the notation in the image you gave.

7. Sep 10, 2013 #6
    Just an attempt to shorthand what was in the image since I'm on my phone. That post should just be ignored at this point.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook