Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Excedrin extra strength vs excedrin migraine

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    excedrin migraine is more money but they contain the same exact ingredients. Total sham!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I'm shocked. Shocked, I say.

4. Oct 22, 2013 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Looks like Excedrin Menstrual Complete has matching ingredients as well...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Excedrin

5. Oct 22, 2013 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I googled a bit and apparently part of the reason they are called different things is because the FDA requires different dosages for different uses. If you use excedrin for a migraine and it doesn't work on the first shot you shouldn't keep taking it (and it says so on the package), but if you're taking it for general pain you can take it every couple hours for however long.

As for why they are priced differently, this could be the drug store's strategy as much as the manufacturer - and by strategy I mean they just make up whatever prices people will pay.

It's also possible the release timing (choice of coating and other random junk that helps keep the pill together) is different for different pills.
    EDIT TO ADD: Although I just checked their non-active ingredients and they're the same in the same order, but I guess there's still a small chance they come in different proportions anyway.

It also could be that using it to help migraine headaches had worse side effects than other uses and they're worried more about a lawsuit or something and feel the need to charge more to justify the risk - probably not, but not impossible.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  6. Oct 23, 2013 #5

FlexGunship

Gold Member

I've found the same thing with my No-Doz and Dunkin Donuts coffee. Shameful!

7. Oct 23, 2013 #6

Evo

It appeared to me to all be marketing hype, they get more shelf space this way. They get more attention, the naive think they're getting something unique for their problem, when all of those problems could be listed on a single package. It's a shady practice.

8. Oct 23, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Evo, it is literally illegal for them to place both labels on the same package.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Drugs/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/EnforcementActivitiesbyFDA/WarningLettersandNoticeofViolationLetterstoPharmaceuticalCompanies/UCM168201.pdf [Broken]

The FDA wrote a letter to Bristol-Meyers that they must advertise these products as being different. The reason for this is that the dosage for pain relief and migrain headaches is different, and the FDA believes that consumers can only be protected by having different packaging for the different labels to avoid confusion.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Oct 23, 2013 #8

Evo

I am not talking about package "labeling", I am talking about listed "uses" on the package.

For example, my bottle of ibuprofen says:

Uses: temporarily relieves minor aches and pains due to - headache, toothache, menstrual cramps, the common cold, muscular aches, minor pain of arthritis, temporarily reduces fever

Sure, they could market one as "Arthritis Pain Relief", and another for "Back Ache", and yet another for "Menstrual Cramps", etc...

It also appears that the dosing is only different for migraine. Anyone that gets permanent relief from one dose of acetaminophen doesn't have a real migraine, IMO. The people I know that get migraines are doubled over, unable to move, and often vomit.

http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine/c/9924/31802/difference-dosing

I should be at the pharmacy later today, so I can report back if there is any difference in "dosing" for their other products.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  10. Oct 23, 2013 #9

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And if they put "migraine headaches" on the extra strength package, the FDA would fine them and make them recall the whole lot.

They had to go through a clinical trial to prove the effectiveness of excedrin at curing migraines in order to get FDA approval to market their product as doing that, so I'm willing to take that over your not-even-anecdotal evidence that it doesn't work. If you enjoy anecdotal evidence there are plenty of people willing to attest to it on online reviews as well (easily found by googling, for example http://www.drugs.com/comments/acetaminophen-aspirin-caffeine/excedrin-migraine.html). And if you wait until you're vomiting to take the pills obviously you have waited too long.

11. Oct 23, 2013 #10

Evo

Yes, the reviews in that link are all anecdotal, we don't even know if any of those people actually have migraines, did you have a point? I also have no idea why you would think time has anything to do with vomiting. I know people that have migraines and it doesn't work for them. I imagine in the study a percentage of people given a placebo also claimed the placebo worked. My little sister suffers from chronic migraine. I don't know why you are getting so bent out of shape, do you hold stock? Calm down! :biggrin:

Excedrin does not suggest their product for anything except "mild to moderate" pain.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook