Excess of chemicals found US water

In summary, the article seems to be saying that the US is having a raw deal, have you checked your water is safe to drink?
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Seems like the US is having a raw deal, have you checked your water is safe to drink?

https://www.sciencedaily.com/videos/0233de5148b63e6e2bd95b0fcb0daca8.htm

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't know, but after the whole lead scandal in Flint I've been drinking my tap water from a filter.

http://www.ewg.org/interactive-maps/2016-chromium6-lower-48.php

I drink water from a filter, but don't know if it gets rid of chromium-6...

...answer: no: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/getting-the-chromium-out-of-your-water/

The story is pretty misleading though (shocking, right?) as it is from an environmentalist group and utilizes a California "public health goal" that is 500x more stringent than the legal requirement of 10 ppb and 5,000x more stringent than the federal standard of 100 ppb (that's for all types of chromium). The headline that it "taints tap water of 218 million Americans" is misleading in that if you have a sensitive enough detector you are likely to find everything in tap water. The article argues that the CA standard was weakened by lobbyists, which is almost certainly true. But it is also almost certainly true that the "goal" was a ridiculous knee-jerk reaction to the Erin Brockovich incident...which itself may have been exaggerated, since the estimated peak concentration was only 20ppb (average; 1 ppb).

My county (Montgomery, PA) has an average of 0.2 and high of 2.6 ppb. My town's water authority didn't seem to be on the list, but I was able to google it: http://www.collegeville-pa.gov/sites/default/files/pictures/2014-WaterReport.pdf
Chromium-6 wasn't on it, but I'm not sure if that is because it wasn't detected or not.

Last edited:
Likes Drakkith, Fervent Freyja and rbelli1
russ_watters said:
chromium-6

Hexavalent chromium is disallowed in new electronics under ROHS but you can have it on abundance on anything non-electronic. Under the ROHS rules about separable materials you can have an arbitrarily small amount of a substance and still fail. Then you have chromed bumpers and no-one cares? An lead acid batteries too.

BoB

1. What are the most common chemicals found in US water?

The most common chemicals found in US water include chlorine, fluoride, arsenic, lead, and nitrate. These chemicals are typically used in water treatment and can also be present due to agricultural runoff and industrial pollution.

2. How do these chemicals affect human health?

Exposure to these chemicals can have a range of health effects, including skin irritation, gastrointestinal issues, neurological problems, and increased risk of cancer. The specific health effects depend on the type and concentration of the chemical.

3. What sources contribute to the excess of chemicals in US water?

The main sources of excess chemicals in US water are industrial and agricultural activities, as well as water treatment processes. Runoff from farms and factories can carry chemicals into bodies of water, and treatment plants can use chemicals to disinfect and purify water.

4. How is the government addressing this issue?

The government has implemented regulations and standards to limit the amount of certain chemicals in drinking water. The Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA) regulates over 90 contaminants and sets limits for their levels in drinking water. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) also works with states and public water systems to monitor and improve water quality.

5. What can individuals do to reduce their exposure to these chemicals?

Individuals can take steps to reduce their exposure to these chemicals by using a water filter, avoiding the use of pesticides and herbicides, properly disposing of hazardous materials, and supporting clean water initiatives in their community. It is also important to stay informed about the quality of the water in your area and follow any recommended precautions from local authorities.