Exciting Potential IgNobel Prize Research

In summary, the conversation discussed research on mammalian pooping and peeing behavior, with the latest study finding that most mammals take only 12 seconds to poop. This follows last year's IgNobel Prize-winning research that showed mammals take an average of 21 seconds to pee. The group also speculated on the possible motivations behind this research and joked about the potential vulnerability to predation. The conversation concluded with a request for other examples of bizarre mammalian behavior research.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Most mammals take only 12 seconds to poop (I must be getting old (and slow)).

This exciting research follows upon last years IgNobel Prize concerned with mammals taking an average of 21 seconds to pee.
I guess that would be 33 seconds for both.

Biology news on Phys.org
:)) I wonder, what was entailed in this experiment studying the hydrodynamics of soft matter? I can handle accidentally splattering brains on my face, but this is just too gross. And I've changed at least 10.000 diapers- that's saying something!

If you are into potty humor, this would fly. Maybe the idea behind this is that these two activities render a mammal more vulnerable to predation, so shorter times spent evacuating are selected for. Wild, pointless guess. Motivations for research are sometimes, um, obscure.

There must be some off the wall mammalian behavior research that really panned out, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Any help?

Likes BillTre
jim mcnamara said:
If you are into potty humor, this would fly. Maybe the idea behind this is that these two activities render a mammal more vulnerable to predation, so shorter times spent evacuating are selected for.
I think that is exactly right!

What is the IgNobel Prize?

The IgNobel Prize is a parody of the Nobel Prize that is awarded for humorous or unusual scientific research. It was created in 1991 to honor research that "makes people laugh and then think".

How is research selected for the IgNobel Prize?

The research that is selected for the IgNobel Prize is chosen by the magazine Annals of Improbable Research and a panel of Nobel Prize winners. The research must be published in a reputable scientific journal and be both funny and thought-provoking.

Can anyone win the IgNobel Prize?

Yes, anyone can win the IgNobel Prize as long as their research meets the criteria of being funny and thought-provoking. The prize has been awarded to scientists, economists, and even a former president of the United States.

Is the IgNobel Prize a legitimate award?

While the IgNobel Prize is not a serious scientific award like the Nobel Prize, it is a legitimate award in the sense that the research is real and has been published in reputable journals. However, it is meant to be humorous and not taken too seriously.

What are some examples of IgNobel Prize-winning research?

Some examples of IgNobel Prize-winning research include a study on whether cats can be both a solid and a liquid, research on why old men have big ears, and a study on the effects of swearing while driving. These studies may seem silly, but they do have scientific merit and can make people think about the world in a different way.