Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exciting Potential IgNobel Prize Research

1. May 1, 2017 #1

BillTre

Science Advisor

Most mammals take only 12 seconds to poop (I must be getting old (and slow)).

This exciting research follows upon last years IgNobel Prize concerned with mammals taking an average of 21 seconds to pee.
    I guess that would be 33 seconds for both.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

Fervent Freyja

Gold Member

:)) I wonder, what was entailed in this experiment studying the hydrodynamics of soft matter? I can handle accidentally splattering brains on my face, but this is just too gross. And I've changed at least 10.000 diapers- that's saying something!

4. May 2, 2017 #3

jim mcnamara

Staff: Mentor

If you are into potty humor, this would fly. Maybe the idea behind this is that these two activities render a mammal more vulnerable to predation, so shorter times spent evacuating are selected for. Wild, pointless guess. Motivations for research are sometimes, um, obscure.

There must be some off the wall mammalian behavior research that really panned out, but I'm drawing a blank at the moment. Any help?

5. May 2, 2017 #4

BillTre

Science Advisor

I think that is exactly right!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted