Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Exclusive measurements at the lhc

1. Dec 10, 2015 #1

CAF123

Gold Member

I am just wondering if someone could tell me what 'a higher order QCD calculation relevant for exclusive measurements at the lhc' means? In particular, what is an exclusive measurement and are such QCD calculations done on the lattice or is it perturbative analysis? Is there something special about these measurements?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

An exclusive measurement is something like "that process and nothing else" - where the two parts depend a bit on the context. You can look for "only J/Psi and nothing else in the detector", "exactly 3 jets (not more)", "Z without additional jets (but some low-energetic particles in the event are fine)" and similar things.

Calculations for hard processes are usually done perturbatively. Hadron properties can be a bit different.

More context would help.

4. Dec 10, 2015 #3

CAF123

Gold Member

Ah ok I see. So is it also something like you look for the production of a species through a particular decay channel?

Basically I have an opportunity to work in the area but I wanted to know more about it first before I get back to the people.

5. Dec 10, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Particular decay channel, particular production process (e. g. just vector boson fusion for Higgs production), and so on. Often you can have a corresponding "inclusive" measurement where all processes are considered (e. g. "inclusive J/Psi production" - can be from a hard process, but it can also be from a B hadron decay).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook