W+/W- bosons ratio in proton-proton collision

In summary, according to the proton quarks model, the W+/W- ratio should be 1.4. This is close to the results that were obtained after analyzing many collisions. However, the meaning of the result is not clear to me.
Vicga
Hi guys,
I'm studying my first-year physics in college, and I'm having to write a report of some proton-proton collisions that were registered in the LHC of CERN years ago. The main goal is to identify different bosons (W and Z) that are decaying into other elemental particles. I've been asked to get the W+/W- ratio in these events and discuss the results.
I've done some research and I've found out that "it should be 1.4, according to the proton quarks model ", which is quite close to the results I've got after analyzing many collisions. I have tried so hard to understand what it means, but I can't.
Could someone explain to me the meaning of it and the explanation of the result?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you quote something it would be useful to give the source of that quote.

Anyway: Protons have three valence quarks: up, up, down. In addition they have sea quarks. Most W+ bosons are produced from up plus anti-down, most W- are produced from down plus anti-up. The antiquark has to be a sea quark, but the other one can be a valence quark (which tend to have more energy). There are more up than down, so you get more W+ than W-. To get the 1.4 you need some calculations, to see that the ratio is not one you do not.

I second the question.

If you just count valence quarks, you get 2:1. If you do a full calculation, you get 1.32:1. No idea where 1.4 comes from.

The quote is from another college that is also conducting the same experiment, and it doesn't say anything else (it is written in Spanish, as I'm from there, so I didn't find it useful to add the source).
However, I've found and article about this in arXiv (a report of the ATLAS detector):
https://arxiv.org/pdf/1109.5141.pdf
They get a result of approx. 1.45, as shown in page 21, so I don't know if it should be 1.32 or not. Could you please read it (if you want), and tell me what is wrong?
And thank you so much for the answers!

You didn't specify at which center of mass energy the data was taken (you just said "years ago at the LHC"). But the R=W+/W- ratio depends on the center of mass enery, so in order to get a precise answer you have to ask a more precise question.

This paper (https://arxiv.org/pdf/1004.3404.pdf) gives predictions for the ratio including NNLO QCD corrections, which are ##R=1.429 \pm 0.013## for ##\sqrt{s}=7\,\rm{TeV}##, and ##R=1.328 \pm 0.011## for ##\sqrt{s}=14\,\rm{TeV}##.

Likes mfb
They don't have 8 TeV predictions, but they should be quite close to 1.4.

1. What are W+/W- bosons?

W+/W- bosons are elementary particles that mediate the weak nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature. They are responsible for the process of radioactive decay and play a crucial role in the Standard Model of particle physics.

2. How is the W+/W- boson ratio measured in proton-proton collisions?

The W+/W- boson ratio is measured by analyzing the decay products of the bosons in proton-proton collisions. By comparing the number of W+ and W- bosons produced, scientists can determine the ratio and use it to study the underlying processes and interactions.

3. Why is the W+/W- boson ratio important in proton-proton collisions?

The W+/W- boson ratio is important because it provides information about the production and decay of W bosons, which can help us understand the properties of the weak nuclear force and the behavior of subatomic particles. It is also used to test the predictions of the Standard Model and search for new physics beyond it.

4. How does the W+/W- boson ratio change in different energy regimes of proton-proton collisions?

The W+/W- boson ratio is expected to change in different energy regimes of proton-proton collisions due to the different production mechanisms and decay channels involved. At higher energies, more W bosons are produced and the ratio may shift towards the W+ boson, while at lower energies, the ratio may favor the W- boson.

5. What can the W+/W- boson ratio tell us about the nature of matter and antimatter?

The W+/W- boson ratio can provide insights into the matter-antimatter asymmetry in the universe. According to the Standard Model, matter and antimatter should have been produced in equal amounts during the Big Bang, but this is not the case. By studying the W+/W- boson ratio, scientists can investigate the mechanisms that may have led to this asymmetry and potentially uncover new physics beyond the Standard Model.