Exercise book between underg and grad physics

In summary, a GRE exam may be a good option for a summer challenge, but one may not enjoy doing it. Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics or 1000 Solved Problems in Classical Physics may be helpful for more problems. Another option is to work through Arfken and Weber's book on Mathematical Physics, or Wheeler's book on Gravity.
jamalkoiyess
Hello,

I am in my last year of undergrad and wanted a good book of diverse exercises to serve both as a memory refresher on my physics and as a fun pass time for this summer. Altho my goal is something that can span most of undergrad physics, I am not looking for anything easy and would enjoy something that can be challenging and hopefully that bridges to some graduate topics.

Physics news on Phys.org
How about a GRE exam? Although most likely it will be limited to certain kinds of problems at the sophomore junior level.

There was a Dover publication book on solving physics problems across a range of fields by Moiseiwytsch on Applied Math With solutionw too.

Another would be to work through Arfken and Weber’s book on Mathematical Physics Or Wheelers Gravitation book which is a really cool book still.

My first summer of grad school, studying for the qual, I worked every single problem in Halliday and Resnick, until I got it right. Not "mostly right" or "just dropped a factor of 2" right or "just a sign error" right or "now I know how to finish it" right, but right. If you can do that, you know a lot of physics.

• Wow
Likes PhDeezNutz, Dr_Nate, Dishsoap and 4 others
jedishrfu said:
How about a GRE exam?

Hated it enough when I did it, I know that it still is useful but the sheer disgust stops me

jedishrfu said:
There was a Dover publication book on solving physics problems across a range of fields by Moiseiwytsch on Applied Math With solutionw too.

Upon checking it out it really seemed more of a physics book than applied math. Weird choice of title, but really up my alley. Thanks!

Vanadium 50 said:
My first summer of grad school, studying for the qual, I worked every single problem in Halliday and Resnick, until I got it right. Not "mostly right" or "just dropped a factor of 2" right or "just a sign error" right or "now I know how to finish it" right, but right. If you can do that, you know a lot of physics.
Nice reminder. I had it sitting in a corner for a good three years, its already here so might as well use it. Thanks for sharing.

Likes PhDeezNutz
You missed the Arfken and Weber. The book by Wheeler which is really cool if not somewhat dated was recently republished with a forward by Kip Thorne outlining those last few chapters on detection which have not stood the test of time like the foundational chapters.

Wheeler's book will get you into Differential Forms and Differential Geometry.

Likes vanhees71
jedishrfu said:
You missed the Arfken and Weber. The book by Wheeler which is really cool if not somewhat dated was recently republished with a forward by Kip Thorne outlining those last few chapters on detection which have not stood the test of time like the foundational chapters.

Wheeler's book will get you into Differential Forms and Differential Geometry.

I have Arfken's book, will probably use it too.

But isn't Wheeler's book the famous 1200 page tome on all things gravity? My intent was more of a refinement of my general skills in all physics sides rather than a deep dive into one. The book you mentioned by Moiseiwytsch was really spot on what I wanted. I wouldn't mind a few similar suggestions.

For more problems, try these:

Schaum's 3000 Solved Problems in Physics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0071763465/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1000 Solved Problems in Classical Physics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642119425/?tag=pfamazon01-20

1000 Solved Problems in Modern Physics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642043321/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Schaum's College Physics
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1259587398/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Some other texts:

Physics for Scientists and Engineers: At the same level as HRW, with a bit more interesting problems and better organization IMO.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1133947271/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Matter and Interactions: Another first-year physics text. Different style from HRW/Serway, but very good to learn physics from. Incorporates programming.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1118875869/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Also worthy is the Theoretical Physics series by Greiner. The first five volumes encompass almost all of undergrad physics, and contains lots of solved problems.

• Wow
Likes vanhees71 and jamalkoiyess

1. What is the purpose of an exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics?

The exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics serves as a bridge between the two levels of study, providing practice problems and exercises to help students transition to more advanced concepts and techniques.

2. How is an exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics different from a regular exercise book?

An exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics is specifically designed to challenge students with more complex and advanced problems, as well as to introduce them to new topics and methods of problem-solving.

3. Is an exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics necessary for success in graduate physics courses?

While it is not required, an exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics can greatly benefit students by providing additional practice and preparation for the more rigorous coursework in graduate physics.

4. Are there different exercise books available for different areas of physics?

Yes, there are exercise books tailored to specific areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, etc. It is important for students to choose an exercise book that aligns with their specific interests and future career goals.

5. Can an exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics be used for self-study?

Yes, an exercise book between undergraduate and graduate physics can be a useful tool for self-study, as it provides practice problems and solutions for students to work through at their own pace. However, it is recommended to also seek guidance from a professor or tutor for a more comprehensive understanding of the material.