Existence of a natural number X

  • Thread starter Thread starter h.shin
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Existence Natural
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
h.shin
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Given [itex]M \in N[/itex], show that there exists an [itex]X \in N[/itex] such that for all [itex]n \geq X[/itex], [itex]n^2+n+1 \succ M[/itex]



Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution


Since both M and X are natural numbers and I am just trying to prove the existence of a certain natural number X, I thought that i could just set X = M.
Then, n^2+n+1 [itex]\geq[/itex] X^2+X+1 since n [itex]\geq[/itex] X.
And X^2+X+1=M^2+M+1[itex]\succ[/itex]M.
So, n^2+n+1[itex]\succ[/itex]M.
Is this a sufficient proof for the existence of X?
It just doesn't feel like a full proof, should X be more limited?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If that is the correct statement of the problem, I don't see anything wrong with your argument. But I have an uneasy feeling like you do. Since it seems so trivial I wonder if the original problem is mis-copied or misunderstood.