Expanding Brackets with Partial Derivatives

In summary, the conversation is about asking for help with a calculus problem involving the product or Leibniz rule of differentiation. The expanded solution of the problem is provided and the person is looking for the steps to get to the solution. They receive a reminder that the last term is equal to 1 and express their gratitude for the help.
Zero1010
Homework Statement
Just need some help to fill in the gaps expanding partial derivative brackets
Relevant Equations
##(y\frac {\partial } {\partial z}(z\frac{\partial f} {\partial x}))##

##(yz\frac {\partial^2 f} {\partial z \partial x} + y\frac{\partial f} {\partial x} \frac{\partial z} {\partial z}))##
Hi,

I just need some (hopefully) quick calculus help.

I have the following:
##(y\frac {\partial } {\partial z}(z\frac{\partial f} {\partial x}))##

After it is expanded this is the solution:
##(yz\frac {\partial^2 f} {\partial z \partial x} + y\frac{\partial f} {\partial x} \frac{\partial z} {\partial z}))##

Could someone please let me know the steps to get to the solution?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the product or Leibniz rule of differentiation. The last term is ##\dfrac{\partial z}{\partial z}=1##.

Of course, thanks.

Its been a long day and I just couldn't see it. All I needed was a little nudge.

Thanks for the reply

1. What are partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a type of derivative in multivariable calculus that measure the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How do you expand brackets with partial derivatives?

To expand brackets with partial derivatives, you can use the product rule. This involves taking the derivative of each term in the bracket with respect to the variable of interest, and then multiplying it by the other term in the bracket. Finally, you can add these terms together to get the expanded expression.

3. Why is expanding brackets with partial derivatives important?

Expanding brackets with partial derivatives is important because it allows us to simplify complicated expressions and make them easier to work with. It is also useful in finding critical points and determining the behavior of a function in different directions.

4. Can partial derivatives be taken with respect to more than one variable?

Yes, partial derivatives can be taken with respect to multiple variables. This is known as higher-order partial derivatives and is useful in studying the behavior of functions with multiple variables.

5. How are partial derivatives related to total derivatives?

Partial derivatives are a special case of total derivatives, which are the derivatives of a function with respect to all of its variables. Total derivatives take into account the changes in all variables, while partial derivatives only consider the changes in one variable at a time.