1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector and partial derivatives

1. Aug 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two charges one located at P at the position (x,y,z) and P' at the position (x',y',z')

Let f= 1/R.
    Calculate Fx= partial derivative of f with respect to x.
    Calculate Fx'= partial derivative of f with respect to x'.

There are sub question involving the same thing with other variables but if you could help me figure out the first part that should go easy.

3. The attempt at a solution

I solved R to be = (x-x')i + (y-y')j + (z-z')k... i think thats right but I do not know how to go about finding the partial derivatives of f. I have never really worked with vectors let alone inverse vectors with calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is no such thing as an 'inverse vector'. I would guess they mean R=|(x,y,z)-(x',y',z')|, Which is R=sqrt((x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+(z-z')^2).

4. Aug 27, 2008 #3
    Right, I got that part. But what is a partial derivative of 1/ a vector?

5. Aug 27, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It can't be a vector. 1/'a vector' doesn't make any sense. Are you sure they didn't write 1/|R|? It's just the partial derivative of a scalar function.

6. Aug 27, 2008 #5
    Right *bangs head against the wall*. The only difference on the homework sheet between the vector and the magnitude is the vector is in bold. My stupid mistake.

-Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?