1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Continuity of partial derivatives in a ball implies differentiability

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    Hi all, I'm looking at the following problem:
    Suppose that f:[itex]\mathbb{R}^2\to\mathbb{R}[/itex] is such that [itex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}[/itex] is continuous in some open ball around (a,b) and [itex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}[/itex] exists at (a,b): show f is differentiable at (a,b).

Now I know that if both partial derivatives are continuous in a ball around (a,b) it is differentiable, but I don't know how to deal with the case where we only have continuity of one partial derivative and existence of the other - could anyone help me with this?

I've thought about it for a good hour or so now and don't seem to be getting anywhere (I know I'm meant to post what I've got so far but I literally have nothing!) so the more help you can give me the better!

Many thanks :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the definition of differentiable.

A function of two variables, x and y, is "differentiable" at (a, b) if and only if there exist a function [itex]\epsilon(x,y)[/itex] such that [itex]f(a+ x, b+ y)= f(a, b)+ x (\partial f/\partial x(a,b))[/itex][itex]+ y(\partial f/\partial y(a,b))+ \epsilon(x,y)[/itex] and
    [tex]\lim_{(x,y)\to (a,b)}\frac{\epsilon(x,y)}{\sqrt{x^2+ y^2}}= 0[/tex]

Since both [itex]\partial f/\partial x(a,b)[/itex] and [itex]\partial f/\partial y(a,b)[/itex] exist, we can define [itex]\epsilon(x,y)[/itex] as [itex]f(a+ x, b+ y)- f(a, b)[/itex][itex]+ x (\partial f/\partial x(a,b))+ y(\partial f/\partial y(a,b))[/itex].

Try to use the fact that [itex]\partial f/\partial x[/itex] is continous to show that goes to 0 as (x,y) goes to (0, 0).

4. Dec 20, 2009 #3
    Got it, thanks very much! :)

5. Dec 20, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I'm impressed! Even with my hint, that was not a simple problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook