1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectanion value probabilities

1. Apr 3, 2013 #1
    Flipping a coin 10 times. The currency brings crown with probability 0.57. If you bring a total of k heads they add 2 ^ k euros.

What is the average profit in this game?

i must find the expectanion value and i do this:

∑from k=1 to 10 --->((0.57)^k)*(2^k) =22.0445164

i think that my solve is not correct any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The probability of getting k heads in 10 flips is not 0.57^k.

4. Apr 3, 2013 #3
    0.43?

5. Apr 3, 2013 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

No, and guessing will not help.
    This is a basic problem in statistics, you should know which distribution you have to use.

As a general remark: you should always check if your values, results, ... are plausible. Please do this before you ask questions.
    As an example, the probability to get k times heads in 10 flips is certainly different than the probability to get k times heads in 1 flip. Therefore, the value has to depend on the number of flips in some way, otherwise it cannot be right.

6. Apr 3, 2013 #5
    we dont have learned distrinutions in school yet.....

7. Apr 3, 2013 #6

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

in your sum, you need the probability of exactly k heads. So you have to take into account that 10-k are not heads. Also, you don't care which of the 10 are heads. how many different possibilities are there for which are?

8. Apr 3, 2013 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

That makes this problem very difficult! I imagine you have learned enough to know that the probability of all 10 being crowns will be (.57)10 and the probability that all ten are not crowns will be (1- .57)10= (.43)10. But the probability that the first flip is a crown and the rest are not is (.57)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)= (.57)(.43)9 while the probability of "first not a crown, second a crown, then the rest not crowns" is (.43)(.57)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)(.43)= (.57)(.43)9 so that the probability of "one crown, nine non-crowns" is 10(.57)(.43)9.

And things like "four crowns, 6 non-crowns" get much more complicated as the possiblities increase. Are you sure you have not learned things like "permutations and combinations", "binomial coefficents", and "binomial distributions"?

9. Apr 3, 2013 #8
    how i can solve it with distributions way?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted