Probability coin and die Question

I started by looking at the probability of any given situation and maybe making a tree but my professor hasn't explained things very well and most the notes I see online are overwhelming

A Game of Coin and Die. This game is played with a fair coin and a die. First player flips a coin. If it turns out head(H), the player proceeds with tossing a die. If it turns out tail(T), the player proceeds with flipping a coin for the second time. The player wins if it gets head on the first tossing and 6 on the second or tails on both flips of coin. What is the probability of winning a game?

Is it simply the probability of getting heads and multiplied by the probability of getting a 6?

(Mentor note: thread moved here from General Math hence no template)

Last edited by a moderator:

Answers and Replies

Are you familiar with the concept of conditional probability and independence? That is, ##\mathbb{P}(A|B) = \frac{\mathbb{P}(A\cap B)}{\mathbb{P}(B)}##.

Vaguely, I believe he mentioned it but I couldn'tt understand his accent

Read this: http://www.math.uah.edu/stat/prob/Conditional.html It's really very easy if you grasp the concept of conditional probability.

If you do not want to do this, then you'll need to enumerate all the possibilities. One of the possibilities is (heads, 1). Can you list the others?

I got it! Thank you!