Expectation of position and momentum at time t, pictures

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle with mass m and charge q moving in a uniform electric field with magnitude E and direction X_1. The Hamiltonian, initial conditions, and time evolution operator are given, and the expectation of position and momentum in the Schrodinger picture is calculated. The commutator of X and P is also discussed. In the Heisenberg picture, the operators are time-dependent and the commutator of X_aH(t) and X_bH(0) is to be found.
ma18

Homework Statement

Consider a particle, with mass m, charge q, moving in a uniform e-field with magnitude E and direction X_1.

The Hamiltonian is (where X, P, and X_1 are operators):
upload_2015-12-3_13-26-9.png

The initial expectation of position and momentum are <X(0)> = 0 and <P(0)>=0

Calculate the expectation of position and momentum oprator in the Schrodinger picture is X (t) = (X_1, X_2, X,3)

2. The attempt at a solution

I know the Hamiltonian and the initial condition. I am doing this in the schrodinger picture, and that with the time evolution operator I can represent the ket as

|phi(t)> = U (t,0) |phi(0)>

Is H is time-independent? As P is squared and is the magnitude of the P? If so the time evolution operator can be represented as

U (t,0) = exp (-i*t*H/hbar)

Then

I can represent phi(t) in terms of those terms and phi(0) and proceed but I am not sure if that is correct.

I know that P = mv = m dx/dt so I think I can use the derivative of the expectation value of X when I get that, correct. According to the equation:

d/dt <O>_t = i/h <[H,O]>_t + <dO/dt>_t

but I have to find the expectation of the position first.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
ma18 said:
I can represent phi(t) in terms of those terms and phi(0) and proceed but I am not sure if that is correct.
You don't need to know φ(t).

ma18 said:
I know that P = mv = m dx/dt so I think I can use the derivative of the expectation value of X when I get that, correct.
That should not be necessary.

ma18 said:
d/dt <O>_t = i/h <[H,O]>_t + <dO/dt>_t
Start with that equation, and see what you get for P and X.

DrClaude said:
You don't need to know φ(t).That should not be necessary.Start with that equation, and see what you get for P and X.

Okay, plugging X into that equation (get rid of _t for legibility) I get

d/dt <X> = i/h <[H,X]> + <dX/dt>
= i/h <[(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1), X]>+<dX/dt>
= i/h (-E*q) <X,X1>+<dX/dt>

and I'm not sure where to go from here...

What if I just did:

= exp (-i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1)/hbar)

|phi (t)> = exp (-i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1)/hbar) |phi(0)>

<phi (t)|X|phi(t)> = <phi(0) exp (i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1/hbar) | X | exp (-i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1)/hbar) |phi(0)>

but I don't know where I would go next, could I just multiply it in? But they are operators.

ma18 said:
= i/h (-E*q) <X,X1>+<dX/dt>
What is the commutator of X and P? What can you say about the time-dependence of an operator (not explicitly time dependent) in the Schrödinger picture?

ma18 said:
What if I just did:

|phi (t)> = exp (-i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1)/hbar) |phi(0)>

<phi (t)|X|phi(t)> = <phi(0) exp (i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1/hbar) | X | exp (-i*t*(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1)/hbar) |phi(0)>

but I don't know where I would go next, could I just multiply it in? But they are operators.
You can't go anywhere with that. Note also that you do not know what |φ(0)>, only that <φ(0)|X|φ(0)> = <φ(0)|P|φ(0)> = 0.

I know that the commutator of x and p is i*hbar and that in the Schrödinger picture the operators are time independent

ma18 said:
I know that the commutator of x and p is i*hbar and that in the Schrödinger picture the operators are not time dependent. However here I have x_1 and p^2
X1 is only one of the spatial dimensions (if I understand correctly "X (t) = (X_1, X_2, X,3)"), and p2 is simply pp, so
$$
\begin{align*}
[p^2,x] &= p^2x-xp^2 \\&= ppx - xpp \\
&= ppx - xpp - pxp + pxp \\
&= ppx - pxp + pxp - xpp \\
&= p[p,x] + [p,x]p
\end{align*}
$$

DrClaude said:
X1 is only one of the spatial dimensions (if I understand correctly "X (t) = (X_1, X_2, X,3)"), and p2 is simply pp, so
$$
\begin{align*}
[p^2,x] &= p^2x-xp^2 \\&= ppx - xpp \\
&= ppx - xpp - pxp + pxp \\
&= ppx - pxp + pxp - xpp \\
&= p[p,x] + [p,x]p
\end{align*}
$$

Ah ok so then, assuming that the commutator of x and x_1 is 0 I would get:

= i/h <[X*P^2/2m -X*P^2/2m]>+<dX/dt>
= i/(2mh) <[X,P^2]>+<dX/dt>
= i/(2mh) <2*i*h*p>+<dX/dt>
= i/(2mh)*(2*i*h) <p>+<dX/dt>
= -1/m<p> +<dX/dt>

==>
<p> = m (d/dt <X> - <dX/dt>)

But that still has a lot of unknows for a final answer as I have to find out <X> as well

If I did the same procedure for P then it would be d/dt <P> = i/h <[H,P]> + <dP/dt>
= i/h <[(P^2/2m - E*q*X_1), P]>+<dP/dt>
= i/h <[P*-E*q*X_1 -E*q*X_1*P]>+<dP/dt>
= i(-E*q)/h <[P,X_1]>+<dP/dt>
= i/(2mh) <i*h>+<dP/dt>

But then if [P,X_1] = ih then this doesn't really make sense...

Sorry for butting in, just a short intervention to remind the OP that dX/dt = dp/dt = 0.

blue_leaf77 said:
Sorry for butting in, just a short intervention to remind the OP that dX/dt = dp/dt = 0.

Ah, thank you.

So then

<p> = m (d/dt <X>)

and

d/dt <P>= i(-E*q)/h <[P,X_1]>

Is that the final answer?
The second portion of the question is to, with the same Hamiltonian, knowing that in the Heisenberg Picture , X_H = (X_1H,X_2H,X_3H), find the commutator

[X_aH (t), X_bH (0)]

where all the X are operators

I know that in the Heisenberg picture the operators evolve with time as U^+ (t,0) O U(t,0)

Last edited:
So then for the Heisenberg picture, because e^(0) = 1 and thus for X_bH (0), U would equal 1. I would get (where U_d represents U dagger)

U_d X_aH U X_b - X_b U_d X_aH U

then I don't know what to do

ma18 said:
Is that the final answer?
No, you still have to solve those two coupled differential equations.

blue_leaf77 said:
No, you still have to solve those two coupled differential equations.
ah, okay. Plus I still need to find <[P,X_1]> right. Could you help me with that commutator?

Thanks

ma18 said:
Plus I still need to find <[P,X_1]> right.
Is P actually a vector in your notation? Is it actually ##\mathbf{P} = P_1\hat{i} + P_2\hat{j} + P_3\hat{k}##?

It doesn't specify but I would assume it is a vector

In that case, it will be ##[P_1\hat{i} + P_2\hat{j} + P_3\hat{k},X_1] = [P_1,X_1]\hat{i} + [P_2,X_1]\hat{j} + [P_3,X_1]\hat{k}##. You know the value of each term, don't you?

Yes so then it would just be [P,X_1] = ih ?

Then the equation would be, as I put in post 9

d/t <P> = = i/(2mh) <i*h>

ma18 said:
Yes so then it would just be [P,X_1] = ih ?
Don't forget the unit vector, ##[P,X_1] = i\hbar\hat{i}##.
ma18 said:
d/t <P> = = i/(2mh) <i*h>
That equation will then disperse into three equations, each for the momentum components and it should be easily solvable.

As ih is a constant wouldn't <ih> just be equal to ih since the exponentials of the U term would become 1 and the phi(0) would as well.

And then I could sub in the first equation to get the value for <x>?

ma18 said:
As ih is a constant wouldn't <ih> just be equal to ih
Yes, it is.
The equation for ##\langle \mathbf{X} \rangle## in post #8 also contains three further equations for each components of the position, so you need all values of ##\langle P_i \rangle##'s.

But the whole thing has been done with the whole X anyway and the only reason the X_1 is being used is because it is in the Hamiltonian so isn't it fine?

Then

d/dt <p> = Eq i_hat

<p> = Eq t i_hat + C

using the first equation then:

d/dt <x> = (Eq t i_hat + C)/m

<x> = t(Eq t i_hat + C)/m + C_1

ma18 said:
<p> = Eq t i_hat + C
Find C from the initial conditions for ##\mathbf{P}##.
ma18 said:
<x> = t(Eq t i_hat + C)/m + C_1
Find C_1 from the initial conditions for ##\mathbf{X}##, also check again if any constant number is missing in the first term proportional to ##t^2##.

From the initial conditions

<p(0)> = 0 = C = 0

<x(0) = 0 = C_1 = 0

so

<p> = Eqt i_hat

<x> = t (Eq t i_hat)/m = <p> *t/m

ma18 said:
<x> = t (Eq t i_hat)/m
You did the integration wrong, ##d<\mathbf{X}>/dt = -<\mathbf{P}>/m = -1Eqt/m \hat{i}##. How do you integrate ##- Eqt/m## over ##t##?

Ah of course, silly mistake

d/dt <x> = (Eq t i_hat + C)/m
<x> = (E q t^2 i_hat )/(2m) + C_1

and then C_1 is zero from the IC so

<x> = (E q t^2 i_hat )/(2m)

Yes, I think that's the correct answer, only that remember that ##\langle \mathbf{X} \rangle = \langle X_1 \rangle\hat{i} + \langle X_2 \rangle\hat{j} + \langle X_3 \rangle\hat{k}##.

Thank you for your help!

Onto the Heisenberg picture portion of the question :)

I feel like there is a way to manipulate the terms so as to put them back into a known relationship but I am not seeing it

I know that

[X_aH (t), X_bH (0)] = [U_d (t,0) X(t)_aH U (t,0),U_d (0,0) X (0)_bH U (0,0)] = U_d (t,0) X(t)_aH U (t,0) X (0)_b - X (0)_b U (t,0)_d X (t)_aH U (t,0)

Where

What is the expectation of position at time t?

The expectation of position at time t refers to the average or most likely position that a particle will be found at a specific time t. It is calculated by taking the product of the position of the particle and its probability density function at time t.

What is the expectation of momentum at time t?

The expectation of momentum at time t refers to the average or most likely momentum that a particle will have at a specific time t. It is calculated by taking the product of the momentum of the particle and its probability density function at time t.

What is the significance of pictures in the concept of expectation of position and momentum at time t?

Pictures, also known as wavefunctions or state vectors, play a crucial role in understanding the concept of expectation of position and momentum at time t. They represent the probability distribution of a particle in space and time, and allow scientists to calculate the expectation values of position and momentum.

How is the expectation of position and momentum at time t related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The expectation values of position and momentum at time t are used to calculate the uncertainty in these values, which is represented by the uncertainty principle.

Can the expectation of position and momentum at time t be experimentally measured?

Yes, the expectation of position and momentum at time t can be experimentally measured using tools such as particle detectors and scattering experiments. These measurements can provide valuable insights into the behavior of particles and their probability distributions in space and time.