Quantum Zeno Effect and Evolution Operator Properties

In summary: We can now use the Taylor expansion of ##e^x## around ##x=0## to find$$\exp \left( - \frac { i t } { \hbar } \langle H \rangle \right) = 1 - \frac { i t } { \hbar } \langle H \rangle + \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } \right) .$$Combining everything together we get$$\left\langle \phi \left| U _ { t / n } \right| \phi \right\rangle ^ { n } = \left( 1 - \frac { i t } { \hbar } \langle H \
Markus Kahn

Homework Statement

Let ##U_t = e^{-iHt/\hbar}## be the evolution operator associated with the Hamiltonian ##H##, and let ##P=\vert\phi\rangle\langle \phi\vert## be the projector on some normalized state vector ##\vert \phi\rangle##.

Show that
$$\underbrace{PU_{t/n}P\dots PU_{t/n}}_{n\text{ times}}P = \langle \phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle ^n P$$
and that
$$\langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle ^n = e^{-i\langle H\rangle t/\hbar}(1+\mathcal{O}(t^2/n))$$

Homework Equations

All given above.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first eq. I wrote out
$$\begin{align*}\langle \phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle^n &= \langle \phi\vert U_{t/n}\underbrace{\vert\phi\rangle \langle\phi\vert}_{=P} U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle \dots \langle \phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle\\
&= \langle \phi\vert U_{t/n} \underbrace{P\dots PU_{t/n}}_{n-1\text{ times}}\vert\phi\rangle .\end{align*}$$
I'm not sure how this is supposed to add up since the last ket in the last eq. is just not there in the expression that we want.

For the second equation we can expand
$$U_{t/n} = e^{-iHt/n\hbar} = 1 -\frac{it}{n\hbar} H+ \mathcal{O}(t^2/n^2).$$
The problem arises when I try to calculate the expectation value:
$$\begin{align*}\langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert \phi\rangle &= \left\langle \phi\Bigg\vert 1 -\frac{it}{n\hbar} H+ \mathcal{O}(t^2/n^2)\Bigg\vert\phi\right\rangle\\
&=1-\frac{it}{n\hbar} \langle H\rangle+ \langle\mathcal{O}(t^2/n^2)\rangle ,\end{align*}$$
but this seems quite wrong. I'm not really sure where the error exactly happend...

Hope someone can help a bit.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I was able to figure out how to do the first part of the question:
We want to prove that for ##U_{t/n}## defined as above
$$
\underbrace{PU_{t/n}P\dots PU_{t/n}}_{n\text{ times}}P = \langle \phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle ^n P
$$
holds.

Proof by induction:
  • ##n=1##: ##PU_{t/n}P=\vert\phi\rangle \langle\phi\vert U_{t/n} \vert\phi\rangle\langle\phi\vert = \langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle \vert\phi\rangle\langle\phi\vert = \langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle P##
  • Assume that the statement is true for ##n\in\mathbb{N}##.
  • ##n+1##: $$\begin{align*}\underbrace{PU_{t/n}P\dots PU_{t/n}}_{n+1\text{ times}}P &= PU_{t/n}\underbrace{PU_{t/n}P\dots PU_{t/n}}_{n\text{ times}}P = PU_{t/n}\langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle ^n P\\ &=\langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle ^nPU_{t/n}P = \langle\phi\vert U_{t/n}\vert\phi\rangle ^{n+1} P\end{align*}$$
I hope this works... Regarding the second part of the question, well I'm still completely clueless.

Got a solution to the problem (not my own):
The first part of the problem works just as I showed above. For the second part one can proceed like this:
$$\begin{aligned} \left\langle \phi \left| U _ { t / n } \right| \phi \right\rangle ^ { n } & = \left( \exp \left( - \frac { i ( t / n ) } { \hbar } \langle H \rangle \right) \left( 1 + \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } / n ^ { 2 } \right) \right) \right) ^ { n } \\ & = \exp \left( - \frac { i t } { \hbar } \langle H \rangle \right) \left( 1 + \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } / n ^ { 2 } \right) \right) ^ { n } \end{aligned}$$
Now one can expand ##\left( 1 + \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } / n ^ { 2 } \right) \right) ^ { n } = 1 + n \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } / n ^ { 2 } \right) = 1 + \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } / n \right)##, so we find
$$\left\langle \phi \left| U _ { t / n } \right| \phi \right\rangle ^ { n } = \exp \left( - \frac { i t } { \hbar } \langle H \rangle \right) \left( 1 + \mathcal { O } \left( t ^ { 2 } / n \right) \right) .$$

What is the Quantum Zeno effect?

The Quantum Zeno effect is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where the act of observing a system can prevent it from changing or evolving. This is based on the idea that frequent measurements can "freeze" the system, preventing it from reaching a different state.

How does the Quantum Zeno effect work?

The Quantum Zeno effect relies on the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the act of measuring a quantum system will inevitably disturb it. This disturbance can prevent the system from evolving into a different state, effectively "freezing" it in its current state.

What are the potential applications of the Quantum Zeno effect?

The Quantum Zeno effect has potential applications in quantum computing, where it can be used to control and manipulate quantum states. It can also be applied to quantum cryptography, where it can help maintain the security of quantum communication channels.

Can the Quantum Zeno effect be observed in everyday life?

No, the Quantum Zeno effect is a phenomenon that occurs at the quantum level and requires extremely precise measurements and control. It cannot be observed in everyday life.

What are some criticisms of the Quantum Zeno effect?

Some critics argue that the Quantum Zeno effect is not a true phenomenon, but rather a consequence of the experimental setup and the way measurements are performed. Others argue that it is not a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics, but rather a result of the limitations of our current understanding of the field.