1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation value of angular momentum

1. Jul 3, 2014 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle is under a central potential. Initially its wave function is an eigenfunction ##\psi## such that ##\hat {\vec L ^2} \psi = 2 \hbar ^2## , ##\hat L_3 \psi =0##.
    Calculate the expectation value of ##\hat {\vec L}## for all times.

2. Relevant equations
    ##\frac{d}{dt}<\hat {\vec L}>=\frac{i}{\hbar } [\hat H , \hat {\vec L}]##.
    I get that the quantum numbers of the eigenfunction are ##l=1##, ##m=0##. Not sure if that helps.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the relevant equation, I get that ##\frac{d}{dt}<\hat {\vec L}>=0## because H commutes with L because it's a central potential problem. This means that the expectation value of the operator L is constant in time.
    So I can calculate it at t=0, and use the information that at ##t=0##, ##\Psi (x,t=0)## is an eigenfunction (of the Hamiltonian but also of L^2 and L_z apparently).
    So here's my problem: ##<\hat {\vec L}>(0)=<\psi , \hat {\vec L} \psi>##. I don't know how to calculate this. I've checked in Nouredine Zetilli's book because its said to have many solved problems but I couldn't find a single problem where one have to calculate the expected value of a vector operator such as ##\hat {\vec L}##.
    Using intuition I guess I should rewrite that expectation value in terms of the expectation values of L^2 and L_z (=L_3) but I don't know how I could do this.

Here's an attempt: ##\hat {\vec L^2}=L_x^2+L_y^2+L_z^2##.
    ##\Rightarrow (L_x^2+L_y^2) \psi =2\hbar ^2 \psi##. Stuck here.

Here's another attempt: I want the expectation value of ##<L_x \hat i + L_y \hat j + L_z \hat k>##. I know I can't write this as ##<L_x>+<L_y>+<L_z>##. So I'm stuck here.

Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 3, 2014 #2
    Well, obviously not, since it's a vector :smile:

But you can write it as [itex]\langle L_x \rangle \hat i+ \langle L_y \rangle \hat j + \langle L_z \rangle \hat k[/itex].

4. Jul 5, 2014 #3

fluidistic

Gold Member

I see thanks, with the last term being equal to 0.
    So I am left with ##<\hat {\vec L}>=<L_x>\hat i + <L_y> \hat j##. I'm not sure on how to proceed.

5. Jul 5, 2014 #4
    Try expressing ##L_x## and ##L_y## in terms of ladder operators.

6. Jul 6, 2014 #5

fluidistic

Gold Member

Oh right...
    ##L_x \psi =L_x |1,0>=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2} (|1,1>+|1,-1>)##. Similarly ##L_y=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2 i}(|1,1>+|1,-1>)##.
    Then if the relation ##<L_x>=\frac{\hbar}{\sqrt 2}(<|1,1>>+<|1,-1>>)## is true, then ##<L_x>=0## and ##<L_y>=0##.

This would make that ##<\hat { \vec L}>(t)=0 \hat i + 0 \hat j + 0 \hat k##.
    So I am learning that the expectation value of a "vector operator" is actually a vector... I would have thought that the expectation value of anything would be a scalar!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted