Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Expectation Values and Operators

1. Mar 13, 2010 #1
    I've never seen an expectation value taken and would greatly appreciate seeing a step by step of how it is done. Feel free to use any wavefunction, this is the one I've been trying to do:

In the case of [tex]\Psi=c[/tex]1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1[tex] + c[/tex]2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2[tex] + ... + c[/tex]n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

And the operator A(hat) => A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]1 = a1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]2 = a2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]n = an[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

Calculate: [tex]\left\langle\Psi\left|A(hat)\right|\right\Psi\rangle[/tex]

img286.png

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 13, 2010 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

First step: substitute your formula for [itex]\Psi[/itex] into the integral, for [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] as well as for [itex]\Psi[/itex]. Don't multiply out the "products" yet. Use parentheses to keep things together.

4. Mar 13, 2010 #3
    [tex]\int[/tex] c*n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n[tex] \left| A(hat) \right| c[/tex]n[tex] \Psi[/tex]n

I'm having trouble putting subscript into the LaTex format, is there a way to do this without breaking pup the tex formatting?

5. Mar 13, 2010 #4

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

c^*_n gives you [itex]c^*_n[/itex]

6. Mar 13, 2010 #5

jtbell

You didn't substitute the entire [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] and [itex]\Psi[/itex]:

[tex]\Psi = c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n[/tex]

[tex]\Psi^* = c_1^* \Psi_1^* + c_2^* \Psi_2^* + \ldots + c_n^* \Psi_n^*[/tex]

Like I said, use parentheses as necessary.

By the way, you can see the LaTeX code for an equation by clicking on it. (I use a Mac, so I don't know whether it's left-click or right-click under Windows.) Here's your original integral to use as a model:

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {\Psi^* \hat A \Psi d\tau}[/tex]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  7. Mar 14, 2010 #6
    What do you mean by substitute the 'entire' [tex]\Psi[/tex] and [tex]\Psi[/tex]*, simply that I didn't denote the first wavefunction with asterisks fully? Or do you mean literally put in c21, c2, c3, etc.?

Anyways here was an attempt at this.

[tex]\int(c^*_n\Psi^*_n\hat A)(\hat Ac_n\Psi_n)[/tex]

[tex]c^*_n c_n\int(a^*_n\Psi^*_n)(a_n\Psi_n)[/tex]

[tex]c^*_n c_n a^*_n a_n\int(\Psi^*_n)(\Psi_n)[/tex]

The constants don't pull through like that but how do I simplify this equation? I'm so lost on this.

8. Mar 14, 2010 #7

jtbell

I mean "replace [itex]\Psi[/itex] with [itex]c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n[/itex]" and similarly for [itex]\Psi^*[/itex]. Like this:

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {\Psi^* \hat A \Psi d\tau}[/tex]

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}
    {(c_1^* \Psi_1^* + c_2^* \Psi_2^* + \ldots + c_n^* \Psi_n^*) \hat A (c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n) d\tau}[/tex]

Now move the operator [itex]\hat A[/itex] inside the parentheses on the right, and apply it to each term in the sum.

9. Mar 14, 2010 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You should use two different letters for the indices since there are two different sums. And I don't know where that extra A came from in your last post.

[tex]\langle A\rangle_\psi=\langle \psi,A\psi\rangle=\langle\sum_n c_n\psi_n,A\sum_m c_m \psi_m\rangle=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m\langle\psi_n,A\psi_m\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m a_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=\sum_n|c_n|^2 a_n[/tex]

D'oh, I'm too slow. Jtbell beat me too it, but now at least you get to see it in a different notation.

10. Mar 14, 2010 #9
    Thank you both for the contrasting notations. Is there anything I can do to return the help?

[tex]=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m a_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=\sum_n|c_n|^2 a_n[/tex]

Very elegant. The absolute value of the complex conjugates is a clever touch. I've not used complex number enough to recognize to do that.

The an is still representing the eigenvalues of the A operator, am, right? You simply changed the notation to show that it is the same as if the operator were applied to the [tex]\psi_n[/tex] ?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  11. Mar 14, 2010 #10

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, I skipped a step or two. It's [tex]\langle\psi_n,A\psi_m\rangle=\langle\psi_n,a_m\psi_m\rangle=A_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=A_m\delta_{nm}[/tex].

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook