Expectation Values and Operators

Sorry, I don't take any students for private lessons. It would be too much of a time sink.In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the expectation value in the case of a wavefunction \Psi written as a linear combination of other wavefunctions, and an operator A(hat). The steps for calculating the expectation value are to substitute the formula for \Psi into the integral, apply the operator A(hat) to each term in the sum, and simplify the resulting expression. This can be done by using different letters for the indices and taking the absolute value of the complex conjugates. Eventually, the expectation value can be expressed as a sum of the squared coefficients and eigenvalues of the operator A.
Nezva
I've never seen an expectation value taken and would greatly appreciate seeing a step by step of how it is done. Feel free to use any wavefunction, this is the one I've been trying to do:

In the case of [tex]\Psi=c[/tex]1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1[tex] + c[/tex]2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2[tex] + ... + c[/tex]n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

And the operator A(hat) => A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]1 = a1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]2 = a2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]n = an[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

Calculate: [tex]\left\langle\Psi\left|A(hat)\right|\right\Psi\rangle[/tex]

img286.png

Physics news on Phys.org
First step: substitute your formula for [itex]\Psi[/itex] into the integral, for [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] as well as for [itex]\Psi[/itex]. Don't multiply out the "products" yet. Use parentheses to keep things together.

[tex]\int[/tex] c*n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n[tex] \left| A(hat) \right| c[/tex]n[tex] \Psi[/tex]n

I'm having trouble putting subscript into the LaTex format, is there a way to do this without breaking pup the tex formatting?

c^*_n gives you [itex]c^*_n[/itex]

Nezva said:
[tex]\int[/tex] c*n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n[tex] \left| A(hat) \right| c[/tex]n[tex] \Psi[/tex]n

You didn't substitute the entire [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] and [itex]\Psi[/itex]:

[tex]\Psi = c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n[/tex]

[tex]\Psi^* = c_1^* \Psi_1^* + c_2^* \Psi_2^* + \ldots + c_n^* \Psi_n^*[/tex]

Like I said, use parentheses as necessary.

By the way, you can see the LaTeX code for an equation by clicking on it. (I use a Mac, so I don't know whether it's left-click or right-click under Windows.) Here's your original integral to use as a model:

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {\Psi^* \hat A \Psi d\tau}[/tex]

Last edited:
What do you mean by substitute the 'entire' [tex]\Psi[/tex] and [tex]\Psi[/tex]*, simply that I didn't denote the first wavefunction with asterisks fully? Or do you mean literally put in c21, c2, c3, etc.?

Anyways here was an attempt at this.

[tex]\int(c^*_n\Psi^*_n\hat A)(\hat Ac_n\Psi_n)[/tex]

[tex]c^*_n c_n\int(a^*_n\Psi^*_n)(a_n\Psi_n)[/tex]

[tex]c^*_n c_n a^*_n a_n\int(\Psi^*_n)(\Psi_n)[/tex]

The constants don't pull through like that but how do I simplify this equation? I'm so lost on this.

Nezva said:
What do you mean by substitute the 'entire' [tex]\Psi[/tex] and [tex]\Psi[/tex]*

I mean "replace [itex]\Psi[/itex] with [itex]c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n[/itex]" and similarly for [itex]\Psi^*[/itex]. Like this:

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {\Psi^* \hat A \Psi d\tau}[/tex]

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}
{(c_1^* \Psi_1^* + c_2^* \Psi_2^* + \ldots + c_n^* \Psi_n^*) \hat A (c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n) d\tau}[/tex]

Now move the operator [itex]\hat A[/itex] inside the parentheses on the right, and apply it to each term in the sum.

You should use two different letters for the indices since there are two different sums. And I don't know where that extra A came from in your last post.

[tex]\langle A\rangle_\psi=\langle \psi,A\psi\rangle=\langle\sum_n c_n\psi_n,A\sum_m c_m \psi_m\rangle=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m\langle\psi_n,A\psi_m\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m a_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=\sum_n|c_n|^2 a_n[/tex]

D'oh, I'm too slow. Jtbell beat me too it, but now at least you get to see it in a different notation.

Thank you both for the contrasting notations. Is there anything I can do to return the help?

[tex]=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m a_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=\sum_n|c_n|^2 a_n[/tex]

Very elegant. The absolute value of the complex conjugates is a clever touch. I've not used complex number enough to recognize to do that.

The an is still representing the eigenvalues of the A operator, am, right? You simply changed the notation to show that it is the same as if the operator were applied to the [tex]\psi_n[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Nezva said:
The an is still representing the eigenvalues of the A operator, am, right?
Yes, I skipped a step or two. It's [tex]\langle\psi_n,A\psi_m\rangle=\langle\psi_n,a_m\psi_m\rangle=A_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=A_m\delta_{nm}[/tex].

1. What is an expectation value?

An expectation value is the average value of a physical quantity that is predicted by a quantum mechanical system. It is calculated by taking the weighted average of all possible outcomes, where the weight is determined by the probability of that outcome occurring.

2. What is an operator in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, an operator is a mathematical operation that acts on a quantum state to produce a new state. It is used to represent physical quantities such as position, momentum, and energy, and allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

3. How do you calculate expectation values?

To calculate an expectation value, you first need to determine the possible outcomes of the physical quantity in question. Then, you multiply each outcome by its corresponding probability and add all the results together. The resulting value is the expectation value.

4. What is the significance of expectation values?

Expectation values are significant because they allow us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems. They provide us with a way to calculate the most probable outcome of a physical quantity and can be used to compare with experimental results.

5. Can expectation values be negative?

Yes, expectation values can be negative. This can occur when the possible outcomes of a physical quantity have both positive and negative values, and the probabilities associated with each outcome are such that the positive and negative values cancel each other out in the calculation of the expectation value.