Expectation Values and Operators

• Thread starter Nezva
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've never seen an expectation value taken and would greatly appreciate seeing a step by step of how it is done. Feel free to use any wavefunction, this is the one I've been trying to do:

In the case of [tex]\Psi=c[/tex]1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1[tex] + c[/tex]2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2[tex] + ... + c[/tex]n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

And the operator A(hat) => A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]1 = a1[tex]\Psi[/tex]1; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]2 = a2[tex]\Psi[/tex]2; A(hat)[tex]\Psi[/tex]n = an[tex]\Psi[/tex]n

Calculate: [tex]\left\langle\Psi\left|A(hat)\right|\right\Psi\rangle[/tex]

img286.png

Answers and Replies

jtbell
Mentor
First step: substitute your formula for [itex]\Psi[/itex] into the integral, for [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] as well as for [itex]\Psi[/itex]. Don't multiply out the "products" yet. Use parentheses to keep things together.

[tex]\int[/tex] c*n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n[tex] \left| A(hat) \right| c[/tex]n[tex] \Psi[/tex]n

I'm having trouble putting subscript into the LaTex format, is there a way to do this without breaking pup the tex formatting?

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
c^*_n gives you [itex]c^*_n[/itex]

jtbell
Mentor
[tex]\int[/tex] c*n[tex]\Psi[/tex]n[tex] \left| A(hat) \right| c[/tex]n[tex] \Psi[/tex]n
You didn't substitute the entire [itex]\Psi^*[/itex] and [itex]\Psi[/itex]:

[tex]\Psi = c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n[/tex]

[tex]\Psi^* = c_1^* \Psi_1^* + c_2^* \Psi_2^* + \ldots + c_n^* \Psi_n^*[/tex]

Like I said, use parentheses as necessary.

By the way, you can see the LaTeX code for an equation by clicking on it. (I use a Mac, so I don't know whether it's left-click or right-click under Windows.) Here's your original integral to use as a model:

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {\Psi^* \hat A \Psi d\tau}[/tex]

Last edited:
What do you mean by substitute the 'entire' [tex]\Psi[/tex] and [tex]\Psi[/tex]*, simply that I didn't denote the first wavefunction with asterisks fully? Or do you mean literally put in c21, c2, c3, etc.?

Anyways here was an attempt at this.

[tex]\int(c^*_n\Psi^*_n\hat A)(\hat Ac_n\Psi_n)[/tex]

[tex]c^*_n c_n\int(a^*_n\Psi^*_n)(a_n\Psi_n)[/tex]

[tex]c^*_n c_n a^*_n a_n\int(\Psi^*_n)(\Psi_n)[/tex]

The constants don't pull through like that but how do I simplify this equation? I'm so lost on this.

jtbell
Mentor
What do you mean by substitute the 'entire' [tex]\Psi[/tex] and [tex]\Psi[/tex]*
I mean "replace [itex]\Psi[/itex] with [itex]c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n[/itex]" and similarly for [itex]\Psi^*[/itex]. Like this:

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty} {\Psi^* \hat A \Psi d\tau}[/tex]

[tex]\langle A \rangle = \int^{+\infty}_{-\infty}
{(c_1^* \Psi_1^* + c_2^* \Psi_2^* + \ldots + c_n^* \Psi_n^*) \hat A (c_1 \Psi_1 + c_2 \Psi_2 + \ldots + c_n \Psi_n) d\tau}[/tex]

Now move the operator [itex]\hat A[/itex] inside the parentheses on the right, and apply it to each term in the sum.

Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
You should use two different letters for the indices since there are two different sums. And I don't know where that extra A came from in your last post.

[tex]\langle A\rangle_\psi=\langle \psi,A\psi\rangle=\langle\sum_n c_n\psi_n,A\sum_m c_m \psi_m\rangle=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m\langle\psi_n,A\psi_m\rangle[/tex]

[tex]=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m a_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=\sum_n|c_n|^2 a_n[/tex]

D'oh, I'm too slow. Jtbell beat me too it, but now at least you get to see it in a different notation.

Thank you both for the contrasting notations. Is there anything I can do to return the help?

[tex]=\sum_n\sum_m c_n^*c_m a_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=\sum_n|c_n|^2 a_n[/tex]

Very elegant. The absolute value of the complex conjugates is a clever touch. I've not used complex number enough to recognize to do that.

The an is still representing the eigenvalues of the A operator, am, right? You simply changed the notation to show that it is the same as if the operator were applied to the [tex]\psi_n[/tex] ?

Last edited:
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The an is still representing the eigenvalues of the A operator, am, right?
Yes, I skipped a step or two. It's [tex]\langle\psi_n,A\psi_m\rangle=\langle\psi_n,a_m\psi_m\rangle=A_m\langle\psi_n,\psi_m\rangle=A_m\delta_{nm}[/tex].