Expected number of flips until all coins show heads

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter nolxiii
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Infinite Limit Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 2K views
nolxiii
Messages
40
Reaction score
5
Originally from the statistics forum but am told this is more of a calculus question.

I flip 10 coins, if any of the coins land on tails, all of the coins split into 10 new coins and I flip them all again. I keep doing this until a round where every single coin lands on heads. Can I expect to ever stop flipping coins as the number of flips goes to infinity? (and followup question: if so, on average, how many flips would it take me?)

I think we've managed to at least state the problem mathematically but am unsure how to go about deriving an answer.

From the other thread..

Stephen Tashi said:
Ok, that's understandable.The probability that you stop flipping after [itex]N[/itex] or fewer tosses
[itex]= \sum _{i=1}^n pr( \ stop\ after\ exactly\ i\ tosses)[/itex]
[itex]= \sum_{i=1}^n pr( \ toss\ heads\ with\ each\ of\ xy^{i-1}\ coins[/itex]
[itex]= \sum_{i=1}^n \big( \frac{1}{2} \big) ^{xy^{i-1}}[/itex]

Your ask the value of
[itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}<br /> { \sum_{i=1}^n \big( \frac{1}{2} \big) ^{xy^{i-1}} }[/itex]
which is also denoted by [itex]\sum_{i=1}^\infty \big( \frac{1}{2} \big) ^{xy^{i-1}}[/itex]

The general problem is how to deal with series like [itex]\sum_{i=0}^\infty C^{D^{\ i}}[/itex]

If that question were asked in the Calculus section, someone would probably have some ideas!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand you well, you want the probability of 10 heads in a row ? One in ##2^{10}## ?
 
BvU said:
If I understand you well, you want the probability of 10 heads in a row ? One in ##2^{10}## ?

No that is just the first round, if the first time I flip any of the coins land on tails, then the next round I will flip 100 coins, and so on.
 
I see. The number of coins multiplies by 10 every time you get a tail ? And all of them have to end up heads ?
So ##2^{-10}##, then ##
2^{-100}, \quad
2^{-1000}
##etc ?
 
Correct.

I flip 10 coins, if any of the 10 are tails, then I go and flip 100 coins. If any of those 100 are tails then I flip 1000 coins. If during any iteration all of the coins I flip in that iteration land on heads then I stop and my task is complete.
 
I suspect that I'm really asking if the series converges? And if it diverges I'd expect to get all heads an infinite number of times if I kept going, and if it converges then I'd expect to get all heads a finite (and possibly less than 1) number of times if I continued on forever?

Or is making the jump from the value of the series to a statement of probability unfounded/completely wrong?
 
Last edited:
You stop after 1 flip with probability 2-10, after two flips with probability (1-2-10)*2-100 and so on. The total probability to stop converges to a value extremely close to 2-10=1/1024, and below 1/1000.
The probability that you ever get "all heads" is also small (below 1/1000, and dominated by the first flip).