Probability of number of flips given number of heads and P?

• Thread starter veritas_1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the user has a question about the expected number of coin flips when given a fair coin and 4 heads. They are seeking to build a probability distribution for all possible numbers of flips and have received suggestions to look into Bayesian inference or maximum likelihood estimation. The user appreciates the feedback and is considering different approaches for their code.
veritas_1
Hi forum, I'm new here, and have a burning question, that I can't seem to figure out or find on the internet.

If, for example, I've been told that I have a fair coin, and have 4 heads, what is the expected number of coin flips? of course, I assume it's 8 tosses, BUT what I really need to know is how to build the probability distribution over all number of flips N.

That is, in general, given H heads, and coin with probability of heads P, what is the probability distribution over N flips?

thx you for your time,
veritas

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no general answer to that. For any given N flips, you can say what the probability of 4 heads is, but that is different from the probability of N flips given 4 heads. Look up Bayesian inference. You need to construct an a priori distribution for N, then modify it based on the information that there were four heads.
There is another approach - maximum likelihood estimation, or MLE. You simply pick that N which maximises the likelihood of 4 heads. This doesn't give you a distribution for N, just a single estimate (and I regard it as simply hiding the a priori assumption - it's still there).

hmm...yea I guess I see your point.

was hoping to avoid making a bunch of emperically defined loops, but iguess this isn't really that much code, just not as elegant I guess as I wished.

good feedback though, thanks man!

1. What is the formula for calculating the probability of a specific number of heads given a certain number of flips and probability of success?

The formula for calculating the probability of a specific number of heads given a certain number of flips and probability of success is P(X=k) = (n choose k) * p^k * (1-p)^(n-k), where n is the number of flips, k is the number of heads, and p is the probability of success for each flip.

2. How does the number of flips affect the probability of getting a certain number of heads?

The number of flips has a direct impact on the probability of getting a certain number of heads. As the number of flips increases, the probability of getting a specific number of heads becomes more evenly distributed. This means that the probability of getting a certain number of heads decreases as the number of flips increases.

3. Can the probability of getting a certain number of heads be greater than 1?

No, the probability of getting a certain number of heads cannot be greater than 1. Probability is measured on a scale of 0 to 1, where 0 represents impossibility and 1 represents certainty. Therefore, the maximum probability of getting a certain number of heads is 1, which would mean that getting that specific number of heads is certain.

4. What is the relationship between the probability of getting a certain number of heads and the probability of getting a different number of heads?

The probability of getting a certain number of heads and the probability of getting a different number of heads are inversely related. This means that as the probability of getting a certain number of heads increases, the probability of getting a different number of heads decreases. This is because the total probability of all possible outcomes must equal 1.

5. How can the probability of getting a certain number of heads and the probability of getting a different number of heads be used in practical applications?

The probabilities of getting a certain number of heads and a different number of heads can be used in various practical applications, such as in gambling, weather forecasting, and risk analysis. These probabilities can help in making informed decisions and predicting future events based on the likelihood of certain outcomes.