Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability of number of flips given number of heads and P?

1. Nov 2, 2012 #1
    Hi forum, i'm new here, and have a burning question, that I can't seem to figure out or find on the internet.

If, for example, I've been told that I have a fair coin, and have 4 heads, what is the expected number of coin flips? of course, I assume it's 8 tosses, BUT what I really need to know is how to build the probability distribution over all number of flips N.

That is, in general, given H heads, and coin with probability of heads P, what is the probability distribution over N flips?

thx you for your time,
    veritas

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

There's no general answer to that. For any given N flips, you can say what the probability of 4 heads is, but that is different from the probability of N flips given 4 heads. Look up Bayesian inference. You need to construct an a priori distribution for N, then modify it based on the information that there were four heads.
    There is another approach - maximum likelihood estimation, or MLE. You simply pick that N which maximises the likelihood of 4 heads. This doesn't give you a distribution for N, just a single estimate (and I regard it as simply hiding the a priori assumption - it's still there).

4. Nov 2, 2012 #3
    hmm...yea I guess I see your point.

was hoping to avoid making a bunch of emperically defined loops, but iguess this isn't really that much code, just not as elegant I guess as I wished.

good feedback though, thanks man!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook