Expenditure/earning during PhD in Physics

• Programs
  • Thread starter arpit2agrawal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Physics
In summary: So if your spouse is not employed, you will probably have to live in university housing, and you should be able to get subsidized health insurance for your family.In summary, most PhD students in Physics receive a stipend or scholarship to cover their expenses, which is usually enough to cover tuition, groceries, and rent. However, it is not enough to support a family, so those with families may have to live frugally and may have to consider living in university housing. It is possible to finish a PhD in 3 years, but most students take 4-5 years to complete their program. It is also possible to work part-time during a PhD, but it may affect the length of the program.
arpit2agrawal
Please somebody answer following questions about PhD Physics:
1. I suppose that maximum people's PhD education is funded, is this correct?
2. How much net expenditure one incurs during PhD or how much he earns during PhD studies (I even don't know that one incurs net expenditure or earns money), considering he gets RA or TA work during PhD?
3. I think one can complete PhD Physics even in 3 years duration if he is intelligent and fast enough, is this correct?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Most of the time PhD stundents are given a stipend or scholarship. It will vary from school to school. Some top students with external awards can receive greater than $30k per year, but most are much less than that. Generally, it's enough money to offset tuition, pay for groceries and rent, and maybe the occasional weekend movie, but not much more.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'expenditure one incurs.' If you live the same lifestyle as you did when you were an undergrad, the costs are the same. Some exceptions might be that tuition is waved or offset, and most people who are on their parents' health plans until 25 while a students are suddenly off of those - so you have to start paying out of pocket for things like glassed and dentist visits.

Finally, it's possible to finish in 3 years, but I'm not sure time to finish inversely correlates with intelligence. The process can involve a lot of serendipity. I would expect to spend at least 4-5 years in a PhD program.

Choppy said:
Most of the time PhD stundents are given a stipend or scholarship. It will vary from school to school. Some top students with external awards can receive greater than $30k per year, but most are much less than that. Generally, it's enough money to offset tuition, pay for groceries and rent, and maybe the occasional weekend movie, but not much more.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'expenditure one incurs.' If you live the same lifestyle as you did when you were an undergrad, the costs are the same. Some exceptions might be that tuition is waved or offset, and most people who are on their parents' health plans until 25 while a students are suddenly off of those - so you have to start paying out of pocket for things like glassed and dentist visits.

Finally, it's possible to finish in 3 years, but I'm not sure time to finish inversely correlates with intelligence. The process can involve a lot of serendipity. I would expect to spend at least 4-5 years in a PhD program.

Thanks for the reply. It answers my all 3 questions. Please also tell me, if "it's enough money to offset tuition, pay for groceries and rent, and maybe the occasional weekend movie, but not much more." then how do parents doing PhD manage their family expenditure (considering a kid or 2 with parents)? Do they live an austere life?

I've seen a few people raise a kid or two on a PhD's salary; they eat cheap food and don't go out much, and often live in the university's family housing because it's cheaper. You can do it, but it can be a stretch. Also, many universities will charge you fees each semester to cover things like health care, library, and gym membership, so keep that in mind - that can come to $3,000 a year, and tends to be the main reason some grad students in the sciences are still taking out loans. Especially if you have a car or kids to support.

If you're including the masters with the PhD, count on 4-8 years to complete (and I've seen smart people take longer as well - it's not so much intelligence as it is the project you choose and how well it goes).

arpit2agrawal said:
Please somebody answer following questions about PhD Physics:
1. I suppose that maximum people's PhD education is funded, is this correct?
Yes, most physics PhD students are funded through TA's (1st-2nd year) and RA's later on. The amount will vary from school to school and depends on the cost of living in that area. Expect to live frugally, but you won't starve. I do not have a family of my own, so I can't comment on how easy it is to support a family.

2. How much net expenditure one incurs during PhD or how much he earns during PhD studies (I even don't know that one incurs net expenditure or earns money), considering he gets RA or TA work during PhD?

I live in a high cost of living city with 2 other roommates. I live cheap most of the time. This year, I've managed to save a little bit of money, but I do not count on this happening every year. The universities adjust stipends to be exactly what you need, not a cent more! Expect to break even, as far as income, expenses, and savings go. (i.e. You're not going to be able to start a retirement plan!)
3. I think one can complete PhD Physics even in 3 years duration if he is intelligent and fast enough, is this correct?

Coming from a bachelors program, you should expect to devote 5-6 years to the Ph.D.

Thank you guys.

I am an Indian computer engineer and will be applying for PhD in Physics in USA. Can I do part-time job in a software company during my PhD in Physics? Will there be any issue with visa and all?

It depends on the kind of visa you get. More to the point, if you are trying to get a PhD part time, expect it to take a very long time.

Oh, one more thing - grad student stipends are really intended to support only one person, not a family.

1. How much does it cost to pursue a PhD in Physics?

The cost of a PhD in Physics can vary greatly depending on the university and country of study. In the United States, the average cost for a PhD in Physics is around $28,000 per year for tuition and fees. However, many universities offer funding opportunities such as scholarships, grants, and teaching/research assistantships to help cover these costs.

2. What are the potential sources of funding for a PhD in Physics?

There are several potential sources of funding for a PhD in Physics, including scholarships, grants, teaching/research assistantships, and fellowships. Many universities also offer merit-based and need-based financial aid to their PhD students. Additionally, there are external funding opportunities available from organizations such as the National Science Foundation and the Department of Energy.

3. Can I work while pursuing a PhD in Physics?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a PhD in Physics. However, the workload and time commitment required for a PhD program may make it difficult to balance a job with your studies. It is important to carefully consider your options and make sure that any work commitments do not interfere with your research and academic progress.

4. How much can I expect to earn during a PhD in Physics?

The amount of earnings during a PhD in Physics can vary depending on the funding package offered by the university and any external funding opportunities. Typically, PhD students receive a stipend or salary from their university for their teaching or research work, which can range from $20,000 to $30,000 per year. It is important to remember that the primary purpose of a PhD program is to gain knowledge and experience, rather than to earn a high salary.

5. Are there any additional expenses I should consider during a PhD in Physics?

In addition to tuition and living expenses, there may be other costs to consider during a PhD in Physics, such as lab fees, conference travel expenses, and equipment/supplies for research projects. It is important to budget and plan for these expenses to ensure that you have enough funding to cover them. Additionally, it is important to consider the potential loss of income if you are leaving a job to pursue a PhD.