Experiment with multiple instrument places all over the earth

In summary, the conversation discusses designing an experiment with multiple instruments placed around the Earth in order to observe the sun at any given time. The maximum separation between instruments is questioned and the suggestion to draw a picture is given. The idea of the sun being visible from one hemisphere and a possible answer of 1/2 the circumference of the Earth is mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the uncertainty and frown.
ritwik06
I want to design an experiment with multiple instruments places all over the Earth in such a way that at any time, at least one of the instruments can observe the sun. What is the maximum separation of instruments permitted?

I am really confused. Please help me with this!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Step one in solving a homework problem (same goes for the other threads you just started) is to draw a picture :smile:

cesiumfrog said:
Step one in solving a homework problem (same goes for the other threads you just started) is to draw a picture :smile:

please give some ideas about tem sir. I am just a class 9th student :)

Ideas about what? He said draw a picture! A picture of the Earth starts with a circle...

:frown:
russ_watters said:
Ideas about what? He said draw a picture! A picture of the Earth starts with a circle...

Ok! the sun will be visible from one hemispher for sure, am i right. So I think it should be 1/2 the circumference of earth.

Why the frown and uncertainty?

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of conducting experiments with multiple instrument places all over the earth?

The purpose of these experiments is to gather data and information from various locations on the earth's surface, in order to gain a better understanding of global phenomena and processes. By using multiple instrument places, scientists can collect a more comprehensive and accurate dataset.

2. How do you select the locations for these experiments?

The locations for these experiments are carefully chosen based on a variety of factors, including geographical diversity, accessibility, and the specific phenomenon or process being studied. Scientists also take into account existing infrastructure and resources, as well as potential collaboration opportunities with other researchers.

3. What types of instruments are typically used in these experiments?

The types of instruments used in these experiments can vary depending on the specific research being conducted. However, common instruments include weather stations, seismometers, GPS devices, and remote sensing equipment. Scientists may also use specialized instruments designed for specific purposes, such as measuring ocean currents or atmospheric pollutants.

4. How do you ensure accuracy and consistency across multiple instrument places?

To ensure accuracy and consistency, scientists carefully calibrate and standardize all instruments before and during the experiments. They also regularly compare data from different instrument places to identify any discrepancies or variations that may need to be addressed. Additionally, using advanced technology and data analysis techniques can help to minimize errors and ensure reliable results.

5. What are some potential benefits of conducting experiments with multiple instrument places all over the earth?

There are numerous potential benefits of these experiments, including a better understanding of global processes and phenomena, improved accuracy and reliability of scientific data, and the ability to identify patterns and trends on a global scale. This information can also be used to inform and improve various industries and practices, such as agriculture, disaster preparedness, and climate change mitigation strategies.