Experimental bound on the scalar spectral index

In summary, Visinelli's paper cites the scalar spectral index as given by the Planck 2013 data to be ##n_s = 0.9655 \pm 0.0062~~## (##68\%## C.L.), but this constraint is not mentioned in the Planck 2013 paper. Instead, it can be found in the Planck 2015 paper. It is also noted that the equation in Visinelli's paper may contain a typo. The range for the ##95\%## confidence region in Figure 1 can be estimated using the Gaussian approximation to be ##0.9531 < n_s < 0.9779##.
shinobi20
Based on the paper by Visinelli (https://arxiv.org/abs/1605.06449),

He stated in page 6 that the scalar spectral index as given by the Planck 2013 data (https://arxiv.org/abs/1303.5076) is,

##n_s = 0.9655 \pm 0.0062~~## (##68\%## C.L.)

but when I looked into the Planck 2013 paper, I did not see that constraint, so I tried to read the much later paper by the Planck team which is the Planck 2015 (arxiv.org/abs/1502.02114) and I saw it, also it is very strange for Visinelli to cite the 2013 results given that his paper had been published in 2016, so it makes more sense for him to cite the 2015 paper by the Planck team.

The problem is, he also stated in Figure 1. on page 13 that "the light blue band showed the ##95\%## confidence region" but he did not state any range for it unlike the ##68\%## above. I tried to search for it in the Planck 2013 and 2015 paper but I can't seem to find the range given by the Planck team for the ##95\%## confidence region. Can anyone help me with this?

Also, I noticed that in Visinelli's paper, equation (3.10) seems wrong, I think it should be ##n_s -1## instead of ##1-n_s## since if you try to compute for ##n_s## it would give an answer that is out of the range (far out). Any comment?

Space news on Phys.org
The ##1-n_s## looks like a typo to me as well, as all of their other equations on the page put it in terms of ##n_s-1##. But since ##n_s-1 = -(1-n_s)##, the end result won't be that dramatic if it's wrong: you'd get ##n_s = 1.0345## instead of ##n_s = 0.9655##.

I wouldn't worry too much about them using the older result. They were probably working on the paper for a while, and when they started the new results weren't out. Or it could be a simple oversight. Either way, a slight difference in the value and error bars shouldn't make much difference to the results.

kimbyd said:
The ##1-n_s## looks like a typo to me as well, as all of their other equations on the page put it in terms of ##n_s-1##. But since ##n_s-1 = -(1-n_s)##, the end result won't be that dramatic if it's wrong: you'd get ##n_s = 1.0345## instead of ##n_s = 0.9655##.

I wouldn't worry too much about them using the older result. They were probably working on the paper for a while, and when they started the new results weren't out. Or it could be a simple oversight. Either way, a slight difference in the value and error bars shouldn't make much difference to the results.
Thanks for that but my question is where to find the ##95\%## C.L. bound for ##n_s##? How did they come up with that if the Planck paper did not mention it?

shinobi20 said:
Thanks for that but my question is where to find the ##95\%## C.L. bound for ##n_s##? How did they come up with that if the Planck paper did not mention it?
Why do you need the 95% confidence bound?

In the Gaussian approximation, the 95% confidence bound will be approximately twice the 68% confidence bound. One solution may be to just estimate it yourself using the released data products, but that's a pretty big task to perform.

kimbyd said:
In the Gaussian approximation, the 95% confidence bound will be approximately twice the 68% confidence bound.

I don't know what the author actually did, but this does give the result shown in Figure 1 of the paper.

In more detail, assume: 1) Gaussian; 2) ##n_s = 0.9655 \pm 0.0062## (68.27% CL). These assumptions then give that ##0.0062## is one standard deviation, and that the 95.45% CL is given by two standard deviations. Consequently, ##n_s = 0.9655 \pm 0.0124## (95.45% CL), i.e.,

$$0.9531 < n_s < 0.9779,$$

which are the bounds in the figure.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the scalar spectral index?

The scalar spectral index, also known as the spectral index of the primordial power spectrum, is a measure of the curvature of the universe on large scales. It describes the variation of the amplitude of density fluctuations as a function of their wavelength.

2. Why is it important to study the scalar spectral index?

Studying the scalar spectral index can provide valuable insights into the early universe and the processes that led to the formation of galaxies and large-scale structures. It can also help test theories of inflation and the fundamental properties of the universe.

3. How is the scalar spectral index measured experimentally?

The scalar spectral index can be measured through observations of the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is a remnant of the early universe. Scientists use sophisticated instruments, such as the Planck satellite, to precisely measure the temperature and polarization of this radiation and extract information about the scalar spectral index.

4. What is the current experimental bound on the scalar spectral index?

As of 2021, the most recent measurements from the Planck satellite have placed the best constraint on the scalar spectral index, with a value of 0.965 ± 0.006. This is consistent with the predictions of the inflationary model of the universe.

5. How does the scalar spectral index affect the evolution of the universe?

The scalar spectral index plays a crucial role in determining the rate of expansion and growth of structures in the universe. A larger scalar spectral index indicates a higher density of matter in the early universe, leading to a faster expansion and formation of large-scale structures. A smaller scalar spectral index suggests a slower expansion and potentially a more homogeneous universe.