Experimental value for moment of inertia - Not about c.o.m.

In summary: Let's see if this is it:I was thinking of something quite specific, that doesn't go away even when friction etc. are ignored. You mentioned moment upon the axle... not sure what you mean but it could be what I have in mind. Let's see if this is it:In summary, the task at hand is to find the theoretical value for the moment of inertia of a ring with off-axis rotation using the parallel axis theorem. The procedure for obtaining the experimental value of I involves using a rotating platter with a known weight and radius, and dropping a ring with known weight and radii on top of it. The inner radius of the ring will touch the axle about which everything is being rotated. The moment of
scottymo

Homework Statement

These are the pre lab tasks for my upcoming lab. Find the theoretical value for moment of inertia for a ring with off axis rotation using parallel axis theorem and outline procedure to obtain experimental value of I.

During the lab we will be using a rotating platter with a disc of known weight and radius on the bottom. It will be spun and we will drop a ring of known weight and radii on top with the inner radius touching the axle about which everything is being rotated. So the lower disc will be spinning about centre and ring will be spinning off axis. There will be a computer measurement of angular velocity before and after ring has been dropped onto disk.

Homework Equations

Iparallel = Icm + m d2
L = I ω

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula I found for theoretical value for moment of inertia is I = Idisc + ( Iring + m (inner radius)2)
Where I'm at a loss is how to experimentally find a value for the moment of inertia of the ring. My first attempt was to use angular momentum (L = I ω) thinking it would be conserved but looking a the equations, having different theoretical values for I tells me that's not the case. We have not touched on this in class and I'm unsure of what direction to go.

Any help at all with some guidance and equations to use is greatly appreciated I've just feel like I've hit a brick wall.

Physics news on Phys.org
scottymo said:

Homework Statement

These are the pre lab tasks for my upcoming lab. Find the theoretical value for moment of inertia for a ring with off axis rotation using parallel axis theorem and outline procedure to obtain experimental value of I.

During the lab we will be using a rotating platter with a disc of known weight and radius on the bottom. It will be spun and we will drop a ring of known weight and radii on top with the inner radius touching the axle about which everything is being rotated. So the lower disc will be spinning about centre and ring will be spinning off axis. There will be a computer measurement of angular velocity before and after ring has been dropped onto disk.

Homework Equations

Iparallel = Icm + m d2
L = I ω

The Attempt at a Solution

The formula I found for theoretical value for moment of inertia is I = Idisc + ( Iring + m (inner radius)2)
Where I'm at a loss is how to experimentally find a value for the moment of inertia of the ring. My first attempt was to use angular momentum (L = I ω) thinking it would be conserved but looking a the equations, having different theoretical values for I tells me that's not the case. We have not touched on this in class and I'm unsure of what direction to go.

Any help at all with some guidance and equations to use is greatly appreciated I've just feel like I've hit a brick wall.
Yes, you are to do this assuming conservation of angular momentum.

You have different moments before and after, and you have different angular velocities, Right ?

Likes scottymo
SammyS said:
You have different moments before and after, and you have different angular velocities, Right ?
To clarify, different moments of inertia before and after.

Likes scottymo
haruspex said:
To clarify, different moments of inertia before and after.
So my angular momentum will be conserved even though I'm going from a disc rotating about its centre of mass to a system of the ring and disc not rotating about it's centre of mass?

Following that I'd just calculate L of spinning disc with initial ω, then subtract L of disc after collision, what's left being put into L = I ω to solve for I of off axis ring?

If it's that simple I'm going to beat my head into the desk for the time I've spent overcomplicating...

scottymo said:
So my angular momentum will be conserved even though I'm going from a disc rotating about its centre of mass to a system of the ring and disc not rotating about it's centre of mass?
Yes, but be careful. In most cases, angular momentum is only meaningful in respect of a given axis. This will be conserved as long as the only external forces on the system act through that axis. What is a possible source of external forces on the disc+ring system, in the plane of rotation, when, and after, the ring is dropped?
scottymo said:
Following that I'd just calculate L of spinning disc with initial ω, then subtract L of disc after collision, what's left being put into L = I ω to solve for I of off axis ring?
Yes.

Likes scottymo
haruspex said:
Yes, but be careful. In most cases, angular momentum is only meaningful in respect of a given axis. This will be conserved as long as the only external forces on the system act through that axis. What is a possible source of external forces on the disc+ring system, in the plane of rotation, when, and after, the ring is dropped?

Yes.
Perfect thank you for the help. And yes there's the friction of collision before the surfaces reach the same speed, bearing friction, moment upon the axle, and air resistance.

scottymo said:
Perfect thank you for the help. And yes there's the friction of collision before the surfaces reach the same speed, bearing friction, moment upon the axle, and air resistance.
I was thinking of something quite specific, that doesn't go away even when friction etc. are ignored. You mentioned moment upon the axle... not sure what you mean but it could be what I have in mind.

1. What is the experimental value for moment of inertia?

The experimental value for moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is typically denoted by the symbol I and is expressed in units of kg*m^2.

2. How is the experimental value for moment of inertia determined?

The experimental value for moment of inertia is determined through experimentation and measurement. The object is typically rotated about a fixed axis and its angular acceleration is measured. Using the equation I = MR^2, where M is the mass of the object and R is the distance from the axis of rotation, the moment of inertia can be calculated.

3. What factors can affect the experimental value for moment of inertia?

The experimental value for moment of inertia can be affected by the mass and distribution of mass of the object, as well as the distance from the axis of rotation. It may also be affected by external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How does the experimental value for moment of inertia differ from the theoretical value?

The experimental value for moment of inertia may differ from the theoretical value due to experimental error, imperfect conditions, or other factors that can affect the accuracy of the measurement. Theoretical values are calculated using mathematical models and may not always perfectly reflect real-world conditions.

5. Why is the experimental value for moment of inertia important?

The experimental value for moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand the rotational motion of objects and can be used to predict how they will behave under different conditions. It is also a crucial factor in many engineering and design applications, such as in the development of vehicles or machinery.