Moment of inertia project help- experiment 1: Bifiler Rod

In summary, the student is asking for help with an experiment involving a bifilar suspension and a rectangular drop bar as the oscillating object. They are specifically looking for equations to calculate the moment of inertia and methods for conducting the experiment. However, the community has reminded them that they should make an effort to solve the problem themselves and provide more specific information or diagrams.
dlxgains
Homework Statement: So i need to find equations to help me with a bifiler suspension experiment in which i will use a rectangular drop bar as the oscillating object, also any help with the method of this experiment would be greatly appreciated. The end goal is to find the moment of inertia using a graph with experimental results but to also have an equation that i can use to calculate theoretical values
Homework Equations: ?

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello dlx, :welcome: !

PF isn't for doing your homework for you, but to help you with it.

The thread will be deleted by a mentor once they are aware of it. Read the guidelines and make it easier for us to help you. We do want to help, don't worry.

dlxgains said:
Homework Statement: So i need to find equations to help me with a bifiler suspension experiment in which i will use a rectangular drop bar as the oscillating object, also any help with the method of this experiment would be greatly appreciated. The end goal is to find the moment of inertia using a graph with experimental results but to also have an equation that i can use to calculate theoretical values
Homework Equations: ?

Please help
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

As @BvU says, we cannot offer tutorial help until you show your best efforts to work this problem.

Can you use the "Attach files" button below the Edit window to attach a diagram or sketch? And what are the traditional equations used for calculating the MOI of an object? What are the typical equations used to describe oscillations in terms of mass densities and stiffness?

1. What is the purpose of the experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to determine the moment of inertia of a bifiler rod by measuring its period of oscillation and comparing it to the theoretical value.

2. How is the moment of inertia calculated in this experiment?

The moment of inertia is calculated by using the equation I = ML^2/12, where M is the mass of the rod and L is the length of the rod.

3. What equipment is needed for this experiment?

The equipment needed for this experiment includes a bifiler rod, a timer or stopwatch, a ruler, a support stand, and a clamp.

4. What are the steps of the experiment?

The steps of the experiment are as follows:

1. Set up the support stand and clamp the bifiler rod to it.
  2. Measure the length of the rod and record it.
  3. Release the rod and measure the time it takes to complete 10 oscillations.
  4. Repeat the previous step 3 more times and calculate the average time.
  5. Use the average time and the length of the rod to calculate the moment of inertia.

5. How can the accuracy of the results be improved?

The accuracy of the results can be improved by repeating the experiment multiple times and calculating the average, using precise measuring tools, and ensuring that the oscillations are small and in the same plane.