Explaining the Differences Between Two Graphs for a Roller Coaster Cart's Motion

In summary: Can you explain the difference between them?In summary, the conversation is about a proposed ride at an amusement park that launches a roller coaster car up an inclined track and then reverses direction near the top to roll back into the station. The question is about two different graphs of instantaneous acceleration vs. time for the cart as it moves up and down the track, one with a constant acceleration due to gravity and one without. The person is struggling to understand the difference between the two graphs and is asking for clarification without wanting the answer.
Genxi

Homework Statement

A proposed ride at the amusement part launches a roller coaster car up an inclined track. Near the top of the track, the car reverse direction and rolls backwards into the station...

Homework Equations

My question is: What is the difference between, "Sketch a graph of the instantaneous acceleration vs. time graph you expect for the cart as it rolls up and then back down the track after an initial push" and this, "Sketch a second instantaneous acceleration vs. time graph for a cart moving up and then down the track with the direction of a constant acceleration always down along the track after an initial push?"

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi there,

I am working on a physics question, but I am stuck due to the wording. As I am unable to get hold of my instructors and my limited schedule to finish it in the next few days, I must finish this now.

From my understanding, the second graph asks for gravity to apply to the condition...but wouldn't gravity be needed for the cart in the first graph to roll back down? Please, please do not give me an answer. Not only is this a simple problem, I want to learn everything myself. If possible, please reword these two sentences in an understandable manner in order for me to move on.Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. I do not see how the two graphs might differ.

Related to Explaining the Differences Between Two Graphs for a Roller Coaster Cart's Motion

1. What is the purpose of this question?

The purpose of this question is to seek clarification or further understanding on a particular topic or concept.

2. Can you provide more context or background information for this question?

Yes, providing context or background information can help to better understand the question and provide a more accurate answer.

3. How do you approach explaining complex concepts or ideas?

I typically start by breaking down the concept into smaller, more manageable parts and then providing examples or analogies to help make it easier to understand.

4. Are there any resources or references you can recommend for further explanation?

Yes, depending on the topic, there are often books, articles, or websites that can provide more in-depth explanations and information.

5. Can you provide real-life examples to illustrate the answer to this question?

Yes, using real-life examples can help to make the explanation more relatable and easier to understand.