Calculating Speed in Circular Motion: A Roller Coaster Conundrum

In summary, a 400kg roller coaster cart is traveling along the inside of a vertical circular track with a radius of 10 m. At its highest point, the cart is moving at 20 m/s and there is negligible friction between the cart and track. To find the cart's speed one quarter of a loop later, we can use our understanding of circular motion, create a free-body diagram, and apply conservation of energy equations. By doing so, we can determine the speed of the cart at any point along the circular path.
fightboy
A 400kg roller coaster cart travels along the inside of a vertical circular track of radius 10 m. At its highest point it moves at 20 m/s. Friction between the cart and track is negligible.
Find the cart's speed one quarter of a loop later (when it's at the same height as the loop's center).
I know there is radial acceleration due to the change of the velocity vector around the circular path, but how do I know the speed is changing? Also how can I determine what the speed will be at that exact point along the circular path? Any help is appreciated! I'm really confused on how to set up this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
The tools you can bring to bear are:
1. your understanding of circular motion
2. a free-body diagram
3. conservation of energy

ah ok i forget to apply the conservation of energy equations to this problem, I'll give it a go thanks!

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by the presence of a centripetal force, which pulls an object towards the center of the circular path.

3. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving along a curved path, while linear motion involves an object moving along a straight line.

4. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion include a car driving around a roundabout, a planet orbiting around a star, and a spinning top.

5. How is circular motion related to velocity and acceleration?

In circular motion, the velocity of an object is constantly changing as it moves along the curved path, resulting in a tangential acceleration. The centripetal force also causes a centripetal acceleration, which keeps the object moving in a circular path.