1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation needed in angular acceleration

1. Nov 11, 2006 #1
    Hi all, I am doing some homework from my textbook and I encountered this problem:

"Starting from rest, a disk rotates about its central axis with constant angular acceleration. In 5.0 s, it rotates 25 rad. During that time, what are the magnitudes of (a) the angular acceleration and (b) the average angular velocity? (c) Wha is the instantaneous angular velocity of the disk at the end of the 5.0 s? (d) With the angular acceleration unchanged, through what additional angle will the disk turn during the next 5.0s?"

I have a problem calculating the value for (a). I have the answer but I am not sure why I am right. Using θ = ω0t+ 1/2αt^2 and solving for a, what is the value to be used for θ? Would it be the given 25 rad. or 25 rad/5 s?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2006 #2
    [itex]\theta[/itex] is an angle, not an angular velocity.

If all else fails, use unit analysis to check what you should plug in.

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3
    ok so that would mean to plug in the radian measure but that number does not give the answer; the 25/5 does...

5. Nov 13, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The 25/5 is the correct quantity, that is what Saketh was hinting at. Since;

[tex]\omega=\frac{d\theta}{dt} = \frac{25}{5} = 5\;rad.s^{-1}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?