Explanation of the mass and charge of the proton

• Thread starter LitleBang
  • Start date
LitleBang
How can quantum mechanics propose an explanation of the mass and charge of the proton using particles with partial charges and guessed at mass but ignore the mass and charge of the electron?

Answers and Replies

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

What?

LitleBang

A strong interaction. Wow what a strong response. I am sure all the common people immediately grasped your intuitive answer.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

A strong interaction. Wow what a strong response. I am sure all the common people immediately grasped your intuitive answer.

No "its a strong interaction" is my signature....

"what?" refers to that I have no idea what you are talking about "but ignore the mass and charge of the electron? "

Pengwuino
Gold Member

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this has something to do with quarks...

LitleBang

Malawi I'm sorry.

Peng, your right. I was referring to the quarks that QM uses to explain the protons mass and charge but it has no particles to explain the electrons mass and charge. One would think that whatever explains the charge of a proton the exact opposite would explain the charge of an electron.

malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member

Malawi I'm sorry.

Peng, your right. I was referring to the quarks that QM uses to explain the protons mass and charge but it has no particles to explain the electrons mass and charge. One would think that whatever explains the charge of a proton the exact opposite would explain the charge of an electron.

No since we know that the proton is a composite object by performing scattering experiments (c.f. Rutherford scattering on atoms, we now found that the proton is build up by point charges)

So far, no experiment has shown any composition of the electron.

Suggested for: Explanation of the mass and charge of the proton

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views