Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Explanation of the mass and charge of the proton

1. May 29, 2009 #1
    How can quantum mechanics propose an explanation of the mass and charge of the proton using particles with partial charges and guessed at mass but ignore the mass and charge of the electron?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2009 #2

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Electron

What?

4. May 29, 2009 #3

A strong interaction. Wow what a strong response. I am sure all the common people immediately grasped your intuitive answer.

5. May 29, 2009 #4

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No "its a strong interaction" is my signature....

"what?" refers to that I have no idea what you are talking about "but ignore the mass and charge of the electron? "

6. May 30, 2009 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this has something to do with quarks...

7. May 30, 2009 #6

Malawi I'm sorry.

Peng, your right. I was referring to the quarks that QM uses to explain the protons mass and charge but it has no particles to explain the electrons mass and charge. One would think that whatever explains the charge of a proton the exact opposite would explain the charge of an electron.

8. May 31, 2009 #7

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No since we know that the proton is a composite object by performing scattering experiments (c.f. Rutherford scattering on atoms, we now found that the proton is build up by point charges)

So far, no experiment has shown any composition of the electron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook