Exploring the Ending of 2010: Odyssey Two and Its Mysterious Monoliths

• Thread starter DHF
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the ending of a book where the monoliths magically increase Jupiter's mass, causing concern about the stability of the planet's moons. However, the topic of the conversation shifts to questioning why the first book took place around Saturn and then suddenly in this novel, the setting is 4AUs off. The issue of increasing mass without disturbing the moons' orbits is also brought up, with some suggesting the use of a magic device to keep the moons in orbit.
DHF
(I realized that this was posted in the wrong place, I intended to post it in the Science Fiction & Fantasy section. I apologize for incorrect placement)

The following will contain spoilers. Considering this book has been out for over thirty years however I am hoping anyone reading this has already read said book.Its been a long time since I last read this book and for the most part it was a joy remembering all the great moments. the one part that stuck out at me however was the ending. Apart from the obvious hand-waving with the monoliths magically replicating in order to increase Jupiter's mass, thus kick-starting stellar fusion...was there any explanation as to why all of Jupiter's moons didn't fall from orbit? I mean they have been happily circling for billions of years but if the mass they were orbiting suddenly increased a hundred fold, wouldn't Europa and all the others fall into the new found star's surface?

Did I miss some crucial bit of info or was this something were were supposed to ignore, like the fact that the first book took place around Saturn and then suddenly in this novel we were 4AUs off.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I remember, the mass doesn't change, Jupiter is just made more compact (by some magic). Increasing the mass would indeed disturb the orbits of the moons. On the other hand, if you have a magic device that can create mass, why not have a magic device that can speed up the moons to stay in orbit...

Ah, I assumed the mass was increasing because more pressure on the core without more mass doesn't make any sense but you have a point, as long as you are waving your hands, might as well make it jazz hands.

Related to Exploring the Ending of 2010: Odyssey Two and Its Mysterious Monoliths

What is the significance of the monoliths in 2010: Odyssey Two?

The monoliths in 2010: Odyssey Two play a crucial role in the story. They are advanced technology created by an ancient alien race known as the Firstborn. These monoliths have the power to manipulate space and time and are responsible for the evolution of intelligent life on Earth.

Why do the monoliths have different sizes?

The monoliths vary in size because they serve different purposes. The smaller monoliths, like the one discovered on the moon in 2001: A Space Odyssey, act as gateways or beacons. The larger monoliths, like the one orbiting Jupiter in 2010: Odyssey Two, have more advanced capabilities and are used for experiments and observations.

What do the symbols on the monoliths mean?

The symbols on the monoliths are a form of communication used by the Firstborn. They are a universal language that can be understood by any intelligent species. These symbols convey information and instructions, such as the coordinates for the monoliths' destinations.

What is the purpose of the monoliths' journey to Jupiter?

The monoliths' journey to Jupiter is part of a grand experiment conducted by the Firstborn. They are testing the potential of intelligent life on Jupiter's moon, Europa. By creating a habitable environment, the monoliths hope to see if life can evolve on Europa and potentially interact with the monoliths.

Are the monoliths alive?

The monoliths themselves are not technically alive, but they possess a level of consciousness and intelligence far beyond our own. They are programmed with advanced technology and have the ability to think and make decisions. In a way, they can be considered a form of artificial intelligence.